[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---JUNE 26th, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Jun 25 01:43:23 EDT 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, JUNE 26th thru THURSDAY,  JULY 2nd ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:
MY SISTER'S KEEPER (PG13) Make sure your supply of Kleenex is ample!

OPENING WEDNESDAY:
(July 1st) PUBLIC ENEMIES (R) Johnny Depp as John Dillinger!

CONTINUING:
THE PROPOSAL (PG13) Sandra Bullock up to mischief! This is a scream
THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (R) John Travolta! Denzel Washington! Crime thriller!!!

COMING SOON:
JULY 17th: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (PG) 'nuff said?
...and, MORE, MUCH MORE!!
MY SISTER'S KEEPER (PG13) CAMERON DIAZ and ABIGAIL BRESLIN head a cast including ALEC BALDWIN and JASON PATRICK in this wonderful and well-reviewed filmic adaptation of the best-selling book of the same name.
Yes, this movie is going to make you cry, BUT...It will also make you laugh!
In fact, many of the early reviews call it "uplifting"!!
A bunch of you have been waiting for this!!
MY SISTER'S KEEPER (PG13)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON & TUES: 7:15
WED & THURS: 6:15
THE PROPOSAL (PG13) Wow is this one a FUNNY one! SANDRA BULLOCK pulled off her biggest hit in over 10 years, and the cast additions of RYAN REYNOLDS, BETTY WHITE (at 90 years old) and Oscar-winner MARY STEENBURGEN sure added to the fun! This is currently the #1 movie in America, and I can certainly see why! The laughter in the theater is enormous!!
(HINT: Don't leave until the credits are over!)
THE PROPOSAL (PG13)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
PUBLIC ENEMIES (R) If this movie were only directed by one of my favorite directors, Michael Mann, I would still be most anxiously awaiting its opening!! BUT, with the likes of JOHNNY DEPP as John Dillinger and CHRISTIAN BALE as the G-Man who hunted him down, plus Best Actress Oscar winner MARION COTILLARD make for a sure-fire, slam-bang, rootin' tootin' package of a film! Here is a blockbuster movie about REAL people, not robots and special effects ad nauseum! Easily one of the best movies of the Summer (and maybe the rest of the year too!)
PUBLIC ENEMIES (R)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
WED & THURS: (3:15) - 7:15
(July 4th weekend showtimes not announced yet!)
THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (R) Here are the final showings of this great re-make of the 1974 crime thriller! JOHN TRAVOLTA and DENZEL WASHINGTON burn up the screen with intensity! ENDS TUESDAY!!
THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (R)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES: 6:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SOMETHING SERIOUS! PLEASE READ!!!
The Avon was the victim of a crime last week...
An operator of an unlicensed mobile pirate radio station attempted to transmit from the top tier of the parking garage across the street on Thursday night, and thus horribly interfered with our sound system and interrupted my film class!
BUT, WE DIDN'T KNOW WHERE HE WAS THEN!!

On Saturday, he again attempted to transmit from the same location and caused all three of our afternoon shows to be refunded when his illegal broadcast again overpowered our sound systems and made the films unwatchable!!

We were all over the area trying to locate this mindless cretin, until one of our people thought about looking on the top level of the parking garage directly across the narrow street from the Avon...
THERE HE WAS!
I chased him down, blocked his car, and placed him under citizen's arrest, at which point he gunned his car over the curb and drove away as fast as possible!

We got his license number, and the matter is now in the hands of the Decatur Police Department.

If you were at any of these shows, now you know what happened!

We are on our 11th year of operations, and have never had anything like this happen before, and, with the help of the authorities, will never see it happen again!

It should be noted that this pirate radio operator was promoting the events in Central Park that were being held on Thursday and Saturday, but the promoters of those events have assured me they had no knowledge of this illegal source of advertising.

To any of you who were so inconvenienced at these damaged showings, I hope you now realize that it was totally beyond our control, and we did everything humanly possible to locate and apprehend the offender.

I appreciate your understanding of this wholly unprecedented and repugnant incident, and personally assure you I will not be letting this perpetrator get away with it!
I can forgive many things in this life, but if you mess with the grand old AVON, you are stirring up a lot of trouble!!

Come See Me Soon!