[Avon-theatre-news] CORRECTION!!!

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Jun 11 11:00:43 EDT 2009

Sorry to bug ya' again, but some idiot put "May" in the newsletter instead of "June"!!
He has been properly dealt with!
"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, JUNE 12th thru THURSDAY,  JUNE 18th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY: THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (R) John Travolta! Denzel Washington! Crime thriller!!!

CONTINUING:
MY LIFE IN RUINS (PG13) The NEW "Big Fat Greek" Movie with NIA VARDALOS!!
LAND OF THE LOST (PG) Will Ferrell chased by dinosaurs!! Great fun!! (ENDS SOON!)

COMING NEXT WEEK:
THE PROPOSAL (PG13) Sandra Bullock up to mischief! The preview is a scream!

COMING SOON:
JUNE 26th: MY SISTER'S KEEPER (PG13) Make sure your supply of Kleenex is ample!
JULY 1st: PUBLIC ENEMIES (R) Johnny Depp as John Dillinger!
JULY 17th: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (PG) 'nuff said?
...and, MORE, MUCH MORE!!
THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (R) At first, I guess I thought "Why remake that 1973 crime classic?"---Then, I started to think about DENZEL WASHINGTON and JOHN TRAVOLTA (and JAMES GANDOLFINI and JOHN TURTURRO) with a director like Tony Scott, and an "updating" of that old story, and, well...I think it was a good idea after all! I know we have had some wildly inappropriate remakes in recent years, but this one has all the ingredients to do it right! Besides, I wonder how many really remember the original? It is considered an "overlooked" film these days! Just for the record: Walter Matthau played the Denzel Washington role, and, a superb actor who is himself almost forgotten today, Robert Shaw, played the John Travolta role. Come see it! With credits like this, you can't go wrong!

THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (R)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES, WED & THURS: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MY LIFE IN RUINS (PG13) So, you really wanted a new "Big Fat Greek" movie, didn't you? Those of you who think Decatur always plays 2nd best to Champaign, Bloomington and Peoria have another think coming when it comes to this movie!
THE AVON was the HIGHEST-GROSSING downstate Illinois theater playing this one last week!
That means, a lot of out-of-town people also wanted a new "Big Fat Greek" movie, but Decatur people wanted it MORE!
And, what's not to like? NIA VARDALOS has a special place in the Avon's heart ever since the history-making summer 7 years ago when we set records with MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING that still stand today!
Truth be told: This is not some "gross-out" raunchy comedy of the kind so popular with the mall crowd these days, this is a wonderful, witty, and, yes, even old-fashioned comedy/romance with some gorgeous scenery of Greece!
In other words: A pleasant and fun movie for grown-ups!
MY LIFE IN RUINS (PG13)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES, WED & THURS: 6:40
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LAND OF THE LOST (PG13) And here are your last chances to see WILL FERRELL being chased by dinosaurs! This wild and wacky comedy ends soon, so don't delay! (If only the dinosaurs were a little faster, or Will Ferrell was a little slower...)
LAND OF THE LOST (PG13)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES, WED: 6:30
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM SKIP...
My new film class for Richland starts tonight (Thursday, June 11th) and I have been missing those Thursday nights with all the wonderful enrollees ever since we went on break a few weeks ago!
This is the 7th year for my "Overlooked Films" series, and it is always a delight to introduce the class to movies they have never heard of, yet are absolutely flabbergasted by!
As I always say, my goal in the 8 weeks the "Overlooked Films" series runs is to find you your next "favorite" film!! (Or, at the very least, one that will firmly go into your top faves!)
I feel I have succeeded in that quest more than I have not!
You still have time to enroll!
There will be a Richland official in the Avon lobby tonight at about 6 PM (class starts at 6:30).
It's $80 for 8 weeks of great movie screenings and discussion!
Join a lot of nice people in a great way to while away the summer!!
Classes are Thursdays at 6:30 for the next 8 weeks!

Come See Me Soon!