[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---JUNE 5th, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Jun 3 16:33:34 EDT 2009

NOTE: We are trying WEEKDAY MATINEES this Summer!!
Starting MONDAY, June 8th! Please support them!!
ALSO, Check for our "Extended Hours" on weekends too!
"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, JUNE 5th thru THURSDAY,  JUNE 11th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:
MY LIFE IN RUINS (PG13) The NEW "Big Fat Greek" Movie with NIA VARDALOS!!
LAND OF THE LOST (PG) Will Ferrell chased by dinosaurs!! Great fun!!

CONTINUING: ANGELS & DEMONS (PG13) Last Chance for this Tom Hanks thriller!

COMING NEXT WEEK:
JUNE 12th: THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (R) Dynamite remake of the 70's crime classic! John Travolta! Denzel Washington!

COMING SOON:
JUNE 19th: THE PROPOSAL (PG13) Sandra Bullock up to mischief! The preview is a scream!
JUNE 26th: MY SISTER'S KEEPER (PG13) Make sure your supply of Kleenex is ample!
JULY 1st: PUBLIC ENEMIES (R) Johnny Depp as John Dillinger!
JULY 17th: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (PG) 'nuff said?
...and, MORE, MUCH MORE!!
FILM CLASSES RESUME THURSDAY, JUNE 11th!!
That's right, the very popular Richland-at-the-Avon Film Classes will
start their summer session at 6:30 on Thursday, June 11th.
This will be the 7th year for the "Overlooked Film" series, and what a great
way to spend the next 8 weeks of summer!
Tuition is $80, and can be paid directly to Richland (sign-up sheets are
in our lobbies) or in-person with a Richland official at the Avon on Thursday,
June 11th @ 6:20 (or as early as 6:00 pm)
Join instructor Skip Huston, and a whole bunch of nice film-fans for this
screening and discussion series of movies that "fell between the cracks".
The classrooms are the Avon theaters, and I hope to see you there!!
MY LIFE IN RUINS (PG13) It was 7 years ago this summer that we made history at the Avon Theater with a little, and not-so-hotly reviewed movie called "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Those of you who were there and remember, can attest to the lines around the block for 13 weeks straight. The "other guys" had messed up badly and not had any confidence in the viability of the movie, choosing to play all their vapid mall fodder instead...
That gave the Avon the Decatur-area EXCLUSIVE on it!
Well, lightning struck!! BIG TIME!!
"My Big Fat Greek Wedding" became a genuine show-biz phenomenon, and made more money than most all the insipid teenage mall movies that summer!
Now, we have the new "Big Fat Greek" movie with the star herself, the appealing NIA VARDALOS.
This time 'round she is a tour guide in Greece, and you can expect big laughs and incredible scenery!
Along for the ride is Oscar-winner, RICHARD DREYFUSS!
If you have been longing for a good time with the type of "Avon movies" we played for so many years, THIS IS FOR YOU!!
MY LIFE IN RUINS (PG13)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (2:30) - (5:00) - 7:30
SAT & SUN: (12:00) - (2:30) - (5:00) - 7:30
MON, TUES, WED & THURS: (4:15) - 7:15
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LAND OF THE LOST (PG) I take WILL FERRELL movies on a case-by-case basis.
Some of them have such a stench of "multiplex" on them, that I avoid them like the plague!
Then, there are ones like LAND OF THE LOST that show some interesting potentials for a load of fun!
Yes, the TV show this is based on was the definition of "cheesy", but this looks to not only have great special effects, but some solid laughs as well!
Originally, we were going to "pass" on this one (we have to be so choosy when we only have 3 screens to work with) but then I started seeing the previews and reading more about it...
So, I am giving it a chance, and I hope you will too!
Of course, if you are a Will Ferrell fan, this is a "no-brainer" for you!
LAND OF THE LOST (PG13)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (3:00) - (5:30) - 8:00
SAT & SUN: (12:30) - (3:00) - (5:30) - 8:00
MON, TUES, WED: (3:30) - 6:30
THURS: (4;30) - 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ANGELS & DEMONS (PG13) Here is the 4th and final week for the TOM HANKS thriller from the same best-selling author of "The Da Vinci Code". This is quite the labyrinthine (there's a good word! Howsabout "serpentine" too)  mystery, and everyone who has seen it has liked it!
Guess what?? I haven't seen it yet! I plan to do so this weekend! (Do you think that's why I held it over??)
ANGELS & DEMONS (PG13)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES, WED: (3:15) - 6:15
PLEASE NOTE THIS, FOLKS:
Times are tough, and I hope they don't get tougher before they get better, but, they might...
Remember that a trip to the movies is still your best value for time out of the house!!
AND, our "TIGHTWAD TUESDAYS" make it even easier for you!
For the rest of the Summer, ALL SHOWS on TUESDAYS are ONLY $4.50!!
YES, $4.50!!
$4.50!!
(Its made the competition hopping mad, but that just breaks my heart, y'know!)
PLEASE TELL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT "TIGHTWAD TUESDAYS"!!
Why would anyone fall for suspect deals on sub-standard popcorn and thimble-size $1 drinks, when the REAL DEAL is the TICKET PRICES????
(And our snack bar is BETTER quality, BIGGER sizes and LOWER- priced than the "other guys" anyway!)
"TIGHTWAD TUESDAY"is the REAL "Stimulus Tuesday"!!
ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!!!
SPREAD THE WORD!!
A NOTE FROM THE SKIPSTER:
I am just finishing the first one week vacation I have had in the entire 10+ years I've had the Avon open!
-Where did I go? My backyard.
-What did I do? Laid out in the sun, swam in the pool and read a lot.

I was just as happy as if I had gone to Barbados or Disney World!
(It doesn't take much to make me happy!)

Of course, I was always in touch with the theater, and frequently checked our lobby cameras during box-office times to make sure all was ok---
(I guess that means I was there "in spirit", right?)

Anyway, I am back on duty Friday and ready for this big movie summer and the start of my new film classes on Thursday, June 11th.
Many thanks to my wonderful wife, Sue, and our incomparable manager, Ashley, for making it possible for me to get "away" for a few days!
Even if it was only a "STAY-cation", it was an island in paradise to me!

---SO, Come and SEE Me This Weekend!!