[Avon-theatre-news] CORRECTION!!!

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Jul 23 13:34:37 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Skip Huston
To: avon-theatre-news at theavon.com
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:44 AM
Subject: AVON THEATRE NEWS---JULY 17th, 2009

NO, I'm not trying to annoy you with multiple newsletter sendings, but it was called to my attention that the date header on the earier one was in error!
I don't know how this could have happened!
Probably Sue or Ashley sneaked into my office and changed the dates when I was not looking or something!
Anyway, here is the CORRECT date header for those of you who were thrown off!
"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY,  JULY 24th thru THURSDAY,  JULY 30th  ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY: CHERI (PG13) Michelle Pfeiffer returns to the screen!!  Co-stars Kathy Bates!

CONTINUING:
HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (PG) The BIG one!!
EASY VIRTUE (PG13) Colin Firth and Jessica Biel in this Jazz age comedy!!

COMING SOON:
July 31st: WHATEVER WORKS (PG13) Larry David, Patricia Clarkson & Evan Rachel Wood in this new hit comedy!
Aug. 14th: THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE (PG13) Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams from the huge best-selling book!
...and, MORE, MUCH MORE!!
SPECIAL NOTE:
For those of you who have longed for us to revisit our "art house" roots, please also bear in mind that with that type of film comes reduced showtimes and fewer days of operation.
Many of you may recall for the first 5 years of our existence we were only open on weekends!
Please check our showtimes VERY carefully!
We are going to start bringing in more of the art & indy films, but, they will play in a whole different manner than when we play a big mainstream movie.
ALWAYS CALL OUR HOTLINE (422-8151) TO VERIFY SHOWTIMES!!
CHERI'  (PG13) MICHELLE PFEIFFER is, in my not-so-humble opinion, one of the most beautiful women to ever grace the silver screen.
(And she is a very good actress too!) The problem is: We don't see her that much any more! Even though there are those who think she looks better now, at 51 years old, then she ever has (now there's a statement!) I guess the poobahs in Hollywood think she is "over-the-hill"! There's a laugh! Come see a timeless lovely in a fun movie that fits the Avon like a glove!
CHERI'  (PG13)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
SUN:  (3:00) - (5:30)
MON: 6:20
(NO Tues, Wed or Thurs showings)
EASY VIRTUE  (PG13) When we opened this frothy adaptation of the Noel Coward play last week, we had no idea how many of you were going to really, really like it! True, there are a lot of COLIN FIRTH fans out there, and a period piece with him and foxy JESSICA BIEL and the always-superb KRISTEN SCOTT-THOMAS is almost irritable in its description! Add in the music of Cole Porter and you have a Jazz-age winner that you will love!
EASY VIRTUE (PG13)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (5:15) - 7:45
SAT :(2:45) - (5:15) - 7:45
SUN: (2:45) - (5:15)
MON: 6:15
(NO Tues, Wed or Thurs showings)
HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (PG) There is nothing I can say here that has not been said. The Harry Potter books and movies are a bonafide bonanza, and you are either going to get down to see this latest installment, or your are not. This series has a firm place in Hollywood heaven!! Always astounding and engrossing!
HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (PG)
 (Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI, SAT & SUN: (3:15) - 7:00
MON thru THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Announcing...
SILENT MOVIE CLASSES---PART 5!!
Taught and Moderated by Skip Huston

The continuation of our popular film and discussion series on the classics of the silent screen!

A 6 WEEK COURSE STARTING THURSDAY, AUGUST 13th and ending THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER  17th!!

This class and discussion film series will last 6 weeks, and meet every Thursday @ 6:30 PM starting August 13th at The Avon Theatre.
Cost is $60, in cash or check  (no credit cards, please), payable to "Ripper Entertainment".
NOTE: This class is NOT payable through Richland!

Unlike all of our previous film classes, we WILL reveal the movies to be screened beforehand.

THE IRON HORSE (1924) The recently-restored John Ford masterpiece!
THE LODGER (1926)  Alfred Hitchcock's seminal, and recently-restored classic!

BARDELAYS THE MAGNIFICENT (1926) John Gilbert in this long-thought-lost adventure!

PETER PAN (1924) The ultra-rare silent version of the classic adventure!

THE JAZZ SINGER (1927) The legendary Al Jolson in one of the most important movies in cinema history!

THE IRON MASK (1929) Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. in his recently restored farewell to the silent screen! Features a talking segment done by Fairbanks himself!
Seeing one of the silent classics of the Golden Age in the 1916 vintage Avon Theatre, is a transporting and even rather eerie and remarkable trip through the archaeology of cinema!!

====================================

Come and join us for unforgettable movie experiences, and a lively discussion with fellow film-buffs!  Sign up TODAY!!

(Give this form with your payment to one of the Avon Theatre's Management staff)

SILENT MOVIE CLASS--PART 5 SIGN-UP FORM $60 Cash or Check

At this point, we are planning on being closed for Decatur Celebration Weekend! (Aug. 7th)

We endured the milling crowds and lack of parking for years, but, we saw an opportunity this year where we could actually take a break!!
So, as we are saying: "Enjoy Celebration! We're on vacation!"

We will re-open on Friday, Aug. 14th with a whole new slate of films!!

Come See Me Soon!