[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS--Jan. 23rd, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Jan 22 13:44:30 EST 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Prof.Skippito Hustonovitch
WEEK OF FRIDAY, JAN. 23rd  thru THURSDAY, JAN. 29th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY: THE WRESTLER (R) Mickey Rourke's astounding BEST ACTOR Oscar nominated comeback with Marisa Tomei in her BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS Oscar nominated role!! AVON EXCLUSIVE!!

CONTINUING: GRAN TORINO (R) Clint Eastwood is cleaning up the neighborhood!
                  LAST CHANCE HARVEY (PG13) Dustin Hoffman & Emma Thompson ENDS WEDNESDAY!

SPECIAL EVENT: RICHLAND-AT-THE-AVON FILM CLASSES ARE BACK IN SESSION THURSDAY, JAN. 29th AT 6:30 PM!! Have you registered for "AMERICANA AT THE MOVIES--PART TWO" yet??

NEXT FRIDAY: By Popular Demand for ONE-WEEk-ONLY!! VALKYRIE (R) Tom Cruise plots to kill Hitler in WWII !!

FRIDAY, FEB. 6th:
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE   See what all the fuss is about!! BEST PICTURE Oscar nominee!!
PINK PANTHER 2 (PG13) Steve Martin is back as Inspector Clouseau!
HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU (PG13) Jennifer Aniston, Scarlett Johansson, Ben Affleck and more!

FRIDAY, FEB. 20th:
FROZEN RIVER (R) Best Actress Oscar Nominee Melissa Leo!!
OSCAR UPDATE!!
Remember that this is the time of year when the Oscar movies play in a "rotated" fashion. Some of them THE AVON will have first, and some of them the "other guys" will have first, but WE WILL GET TO THEM IF WE DON'T GET THEM FIRST!  So, if you are bemoaning the possibility you may have to brave the mean screens of the "other guys" instead of seeing one of these films at THE AVON, do not despair! With a very few exceptions, WE WILL HAVE THEM A COUPLE WEEKS LATER, IF NOT FIRST!!
So, you can expect to see FROST/NIXON, RACHEL GETTING MARRIED, FROZEN RIVER, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE very, very soon at Decatur's "Best Place to See a Movie", THE AVON!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE WRESTLER (R) As the plaintive sounds of the award-winning title song by Bruce Springsteen waft through your soul, you know you are about to experience something remarkable. There is nothing anyone likes better in the movie biz than a "come back" story, and MICKEY ROURKE's is a doozy! Here is a guy who once had it all. If his career had gone the way it was positioned to, he would probably be a multi-Oscar winner today, and have a long roster of incredible roles behind him... So what happened to him? Well, the best thing you can say is this: LIFE happened to him. His was the kind of crash and burn you really don't come back from. As his character says in the film, he was a "broken down piece of meat", and so it goes with art imitating life. This is a Best Actor Oscar nomination, and may even be the winner!
Then, we have MARISA TOMEI, still looking gorgeous, and playing a stripper, which is a courageous thing to do for a woman on the north side of 40 (44 to be exact) to do, and just garnered her a BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS OSCAR NOMINATION!! And let's not forget EVAN RACHEL WOOD, who is a young actress I have noticed ever since her regular role in the lamented 1999-2002 TV series ONCE AND AGAIN. She is a major talent, and holds her own with these two heavyweights admirably. See THE WRESTLER for a stunning performance by an actor who's own story may have more in common with the film role than you may realize.
THE WRESTLER (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
GRAN TORINO  (R) CLINT EASTWOOD's tale of our racially divided America, and of the diversity and change that is going to be inevitable, is an absolute marvel! This is one you can see more than once, as there are favorite scenes you think about later, and then decide to see it again! Take my word for it; This one is even better the second and third time! The fact that ticket sales barely dropped in the 2nd week (and the opening 1st week was a monster!) shows that more and more people are talking this one up, and bringing their friends and family (especially the older ones) to see it. I have had several people tell me they haven't been to a movie in over 10 years or more, and they are sure glad they came for this one! See it at least once, and you'll probably be back for more!
GRAN TORINO  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LAST CHANCE HARVEY  (PG13) Isn't it terrific when there is actually a love story that features older people?
Hollywood has neglected the 'boomers and seniors so deplorably, and the love story genre is the most blatant example of that. If it were up to the "mall crowd", all love stories would be about people 40 and under (or, in most cases, 20 and under!)---Well, here comes a wonderful little movie with Oscar winners DUSTIN HOFFMAN and EMMA THOMPSON to show us all that we are NOT forgotten! Now, YOU need to do YOUR part and get out and see it! If you do NOT see it, you will only be adding fuel to the fire that the older viewers don't support movies well enough! You know what to do now, right? ENDS WEDNESDAY!! HURRY!!
LAST CHANCE HARVEY  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM SKIP...
It's hard to believe that Christmas 2008 has come and gone.
We at the Avon were so busy that the holidays were over before we knew it!
(And I am still waiting for MY holiday!! Fat chance!)

Many of you out there have been having a big problem with what to do on your Thursday nights now that my Richland-at-the-Avon film classes have been on break since Dec. 18th.
I hear it every weekend!
"When are the film classes starting back up??"
Well, your rescue is at hand, because we start "AMERICANA AT THE MOVIES--PART 2" on Thursday, January 29th @ 6:30 for the next 8 weeks!

If you have not registered, please do so now. Here is the contact info:
Jennifer Peterson
Richland Community College
(217) 875-7211, Ext. 353
-or-
You can merely show up next Thursday, Jan. 29th, at about 6:20 and get registered with Ms. Peterson in-person!

The Richland-at-the-Avon film classes are a great way to meet people who have a similar interests as you; the movies!
And, what is "AMERICANA AT THE MOVIES" about?
Any film that celebrates and chronicles aspects of the American experience!
They can be dramas, comedies, epics, musicals, westerns---you get the picture.
Come and join us Thursday, January 29th, and find out what hundreds of Decatur residents have discovered for the past 7 1/2 years about the Richland-at-the-Avon Film Classes!!
They are soooooo groovy!
And, that is IT for now, Folks!