[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS--FEB. 20th, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Feb 18 17:40:14 EST 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 20th thru THURSDAY, FEB. 26th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY: FROST/NIXON (R) 5 Oscar Nominations including "Best Picture"!!

CONTINUING: SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (R) 10 Oscar Nominations including "Best Picture"!!
                             HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU (R) All-Star Cast Romantic Comedy (ENDS SOON!)

COMING NEXT WEEK: VALKYRIE (R) "Encore" of the WWII Thriller!!
                                           TELL NO ONE (R) The French Mystery Thriller That Will Blow Your Mind!
COMING SOON: WATCHMEN
                    STATE OF PLAY
                    DUPLICITY
                    ...and so many MORE!!!
FROST/NIXON (R)  Here is a very, very fine film that has gathered up 5 Oscar nominations including "Best Picture", yet, it is no secret, has not really done that much business nationwide!
WHY is that?
Well, could it be that many of the moviegoers in this country are NOT like Decatur's "Avon people" and really do not have a clue as to who "Frost" or "Nixon" even were?
(Much less do they even care!)
It becomes more and more evident every day just how "special" The Avon and its patrons are!
HERE IS YOUR CHANCE to see a wonderfully done movie that is as INTELLIGENTLY tense and grabbing as any "mall-thriller" you can find! SEE IT BEFORE THE OSCARS THIS WEEKEND!!!
FROST/NIXON (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

SUN: (2:00) - (5:00
MON, TUES & WED: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE  (R) Now that this has swept the BAFTA awards (that's the British Oscars), the main event looms! Can it go the distance? Can this marvelous little movie actually go against the Hollywood tide and take the gold?
If you are in my film classes, you already know how I feel about this year's Oscar race.
(...or, at least you will this Thursday night when I talk about it).
If you are STILL on-the-fence about seeing this, there is not much more I can say that will convince you this is a ground-breaking movie that NEEDS to be seen!
JUST REMEMBER: Don't let the first 20 to 30 minutes throw you. I have not been there for EVERY show to warn people, and that is the time when we will lose 'em, if there is any danger of that happening. STICK WITH IT! You will be glad at the end you did!
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU  (PG13) And now, with Valentine's Day over, we come to the end of the run for this fun romantic comedy! The cast in this is so remarkable when you consider the likes of Jennifer Aniston, Ben Affleck, Scarlett Johansson, Drew Barrymore and Jennifer Connelly (and even more besides!). This is the last week for it, so get thy rear in gear!
HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:15
A NOTE FROM SKIP...
Sunday, February 22nd is "OSCAR NIGHT", and we are in an UNPRECEDENTED POSITION here!
By playing BOTH "Slumdog Millionaire" and "Frost/Nixon" at the same time, and BOTH being EXCLUSIVE to THE AVON, we have a 40% chance of having the "Best Picture" winner!!
This has never happened before in our entire 10 years!!
So, root for one of "ours", folks!!

Seeya at the Movies!!