[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS--FEB. 13th, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Feb 11 13:44:52 EST 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 13th  thru THURSDAY, FEB. 19th  ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

CONTINUING: HELD OVER!! SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (R) It's won all those awards, and now headed to the Oscars where it has TEN nominations including "Best Picture". Have YOU seen it yet? By the way, you can ONLY see it at THE AVON!!

HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU (PG13) Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore, Ben Affleck and tons more in the PERFECT Valentine's Day treat!

THE PINK PANTHER 2 (PG) Steve Martin scores in the difficult role of whacky Inspector Clouseau! ENDS SOON!!

COMING SOON:
FROST/NIXON (R) 5 Oscar nominations including "Best Picture"!!
TELL NO ONE (R) The knock-out French thriller personally endorsed by Skip Huston!!
RACHEL GETTING MARRIED (R) Anne Hathaway's Oscar-nominated role!
VALKYRIE (R) Tom Cruise in an Avon by-popular-demand "encore" of the great WWII thriller!!
HELP WANTED!!
That's right, we have openings for LOBBY STAFF
available for late Winter/ early Spring!!
Candidates must be available NIGHTS and WEEKENDS,
and HOLIDAYS, No Exceptions!
Must have dependable transportation.
Must be able to lift and carry 50lb bags of raw popcorn with no difficulty.
18 years old and up, but we will consider as young as
16 depending on the applicant and the transportation.
APPLY IN PERSON TO ASHLEY or SUE at the theater!
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
HELD OVER!! HELD OVER!! (did I say it was HELD OVER?)
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (R) What can I say that hasn't been said by me and a gazillion critics and film scribes all over the world?
Since I am not there for EVERY show, I could warn you to "stick with this one".
Honestly, the first 30 minutes I was almost ready to take a walk on it!
But...
Something kept me in my seat a little longer.
By the time 45 minutes had passed, there was nothing short of dynamite that would have lifted me from my chair!

Yes, this is very "different" (and some use that word as if it were something repugnant, and how sad is that?) and it is very "groundbreaking"...
If you are expecting old-fashion whitebread Hollywood, this is not that.

I will say that, not EVERYONE has loved it...
I would estimate about 90% are crazy about it, and about 5% rather lukewarm, and the last 5% just don't seem to "get it".

If recent events have not shown all by now that our world is changing in its tolerance to other cultures and people of color, then I am afraid those that don't "get it" probably never will...

BUT, for those who take a chance, you have a 90% shot at a remarkable time at the movies! (Good odds, huh?)

DON'T LEAVE WHEN THE FIRST CREDIT ROLLS, THERE IS AN INCREDIBLE DANCE SEQUENCE WITH THE ENTIRE CAST TO THE OSCAR-NOMINATED SONG "JAI HO"!!!
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU  (PG13) Troops of women made this the #1 movie in America last weekend, and it is easy to see why. For one, the cast is to die for: JENNIFER ANISTON, BEN AFFLECK, DREW BARRYMORE, SCARLETT JOHANSSON, JENNIFER CONNELLY, BRADLEY COOPER, and even more!!
Plus, women have been ravenous for another SEX AND THE CITY type of movie, and THIS IS IT!!
We have moved it into the big main theater for Valentine's weekend, so grab your pals and/or your honeybunch and get down to THE AVON!!
HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:15
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE PINK PANTHER 2  (PG) Now, here is one of those "problems" that confront us every once in awhile...
WHY is this movie such a flop? It is no secret this one came out last weekend and laid a huge egg, but it is difficult to see why!! It is VERY FUNNY! It has a GREAT CAST!! STEVE MARTIN does a fine job of taking over the role that Peter Sellers made so iconic, Inspector Jacques Cousteu...
So, what's the deal here?
I can only hope our regulars were prioritizing on the Oscar hopeful films, and gave this a pass last weekend in order to get to it this weekend!
And that MIGHT explain it as far as DECATUR goes, but what about the rest of the country?
This is the kind of movie you go to forget your troubles and get happy!
THE PINK PANTHER 2  (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
A NOTE FROM SKIP...
So, we had a few days of "Spring" didn't we?
I know it couldn't last, and I know there is more Winter coming...
---Including snow up to our fanny!
BUT...
What a preview of coming attractions!

It is always amusing to see people dig out their shorts and flip-flops as soon as the temperature climbs.
Even I took my little convertible out of storage for a little spin (with the top UP, of course!).

But, you know what?
We are on the home stretch here.
It won't be long before it is hot as blazes and many of you will be missing Winter!
(Not me, though, it can't get too hot for me!)
Come See Me Soon!
I'll Be Looking for You and You and...YOU!!