[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---DEC. 18th, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Dec 17 11:50:07 EST 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, DEC. 18th thru THURSDAY, DEC. 24th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

NOW SHOWING:
THE BLIND SIDE (PG13) Sandra Bullock in the runaway hit heartwarmer!
THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG (G) Classic hand-drawn Disney animation returns!
EVERYBODY'S FINE (PG13) Robert DeNiro, Drew Barrymore and Kate Beckinsale in a holiday comedy/drama!

STARTS CHRISTMAS DAY, (DEC. 25th):
SHERLOCK HOLMES (PG13) Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law!!
IT'S COMPLICATED (PG13) Meryl Streep, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG (G)
 If you are looking for some bonafide holiday magic for the whole family, look no further!
This instant classic throwback to the Disney gems like BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and THE LITTLE
MERMAID will enthrall and inspire all age groups.
The idea to not do this in trendy 3D, and to use the hand-drawn animation of old, was inspired.
Also, the Bayou setting, and making the Princess African-American couldn't have been a more perfect choice!
Great music, wonderful visuals, and an all-out essential movie for the family holiday movie days!
THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG (G)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
CLOSED THURSDAY,  CHRISTMAS EVE

THE BLIND SIDE (PG13)
Now we go into the final few days of this phenomenal and surprise blockbuster hit!
See it NOW, finally, or these are your last chances to see it AGAIN!
SANDRA BULLOCK will get an Oscar nomination for this!
You heard it here first!
THE BLIND SIDE  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES & WED:  6:30 (ENDS WEDNESDAY!)
CLOSED THURSDAY, CHRISTMAS EVE
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
EVERYBODY'S FINE (PG13)
Frankly, I don't get why this movie is not doing much better than it has.
With a cast like ROBERT DeNIRO, DREW BARRYMORE and KATE BECKINSALE (woof!), and a holiday
setting, plus first-class production values; it just should be selling more tickets!
The exit polls have all been positive (even though the smarty-pants critics panned it).
So, wassamatta?
Whatever the bugaboo is, you've only got a few more days to see this straight-from-the-heart movie!
EVERYBODY'S FINE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES & WED: 6:40 (ENDS WEDNESDAY!)
CLOSED THURSDAY, CHRISTMAS EVE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...
And so the Christmas season has come once again!
I think it is only natural at this traditional time of family gatherings to reflect on those who are not among us any longer...
Make no mistake about it: I firmly believe that ALL are still "among us" in spirit form, but it is that physical presence we miss so much.

As I write this on Dec. 17th, I remember that my father passed away at the young age of 58 on this very day 30 years ago.
He was a true "force of nature" and was responsible for much of the commercial development you see in the North end of Decatur.
He is the reason that so many city streets carry the name of "Huston" in one form or another ("Huston Ave", "Huston Hills Road" etc., etc.);
and he is also the reason there is a street named after me ("Skippy Drive") and for two of my three sisters ("Stephanie Drive" and "Kandy Lane").
(My little sister, Holly, did not get a street named for her, but we are sure if he would have lived longer, that would have been rectified quickly.)

I often wonder what he would think if he could see the re-birth of the Avon Theatre by me and my family and friends, and what he would
make of the on-going attempts to revitalize downtown.
He believed in getting things done, you see.
If there is anything we lack in Decatur today, it is the type of "visionary" my father was.
"Vision" has been replaced with "caution" in our city developers these days, and we are much the worse for it.

I do possess some of his fine traits, but I do not flatter myself to think I have but a fraction of the charisma, charm and intelligence he had.

As our loved ones grow older, we seem to mark their survival with each new Christmas.
We wonder how many more years they, or ourselves for that matter, will be among the living for the next Yuletide season.

My mother is 83 years old, and in reasonably fair health.
I am thankful for every year she gets to see another of her beloved Christmases.

Truthfully, none of us know how many more Christmases any of us will experience.
That's why my mother has always told me to treat every loved one as if the last time you see them, really IS "the last time you see them".

Christmas is a wonderful time.
Not just for the theological aspects, but for the very concept of re-birth and redemption.

It is probably the most precious human factor of all to embrace "starting a new chapter".
All of us have that ability, no matter what our age.

God loves you!

Come See Me Soon!!
The popcorn is hot and the real buttah is bubblin'!!