[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS--DEC. 11th, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Dec 9 16:52:58 EST 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, DEC. 11th thru THURSDAY, DEC. 17th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENS FRIDAY, DEC. 11th:
THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG (G) Classic hand-drawn Disney animation returns!! An Instant Classic!!!
EVERYBODY'S FINE (PG13) Robert DeNiro, Drew Barrymore and Kate Beckinsale in a holiday comedy/drama!
THE BOONDOCK SAINTS 2: All Saints Day (R) The long-awaited 2nd chapter in this cult action saga!

CONTINUING:
THE BLIND SIDE (PG13) Sandra Bullock in the runaway hit heartwarmer!

COMING SOON:
DEC. 25th (Christmas Day): SHERLOCK HOLMES (PG13) Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law!!
DEC. 25th (Christmas Day): IT'S COMPLICATED (PG13) Meryl Streep, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin
JAN. 8th: LEAP YEAR (PG13) Amy Adams cuter than ever!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG  (G)

What a wonderful holiday treat the Disney studios have cooked up!
This is CLASSIC, all HAND-DRAWN animation like their BEAUTY AND THE BEAST or THE LITTLE MERMAID.
It is NOT computer constructed, and certainly not a 3D video game lookalike!
THIS IS THE REAL DEAL, FOLKS!!
Fabulous songs, wonderful characters, a unique ambience set in the Southern Bayou country...
AND, SINCE IT ISN'T MADE IN 3D, YOU WON'T HAVE TO PAY AN ARM & A LEG TO TAKE THE WHOLE FAMILY TO SEE IT!!
(of course, you wouldn't have to pay those exorbitant prices at the Avon ever!!)
THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG (G)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 6:40
THE BLIND SIDE (PG13)

So, this amazing little movie continues to prove to the Hollywood hoo-hah's there is a huge market for "feel-good" movies out there!
Do you think they are convinced?
Don't bet on it.
As long as the film critics continue to heap praise on the latest "feel bad" movies, and ignore ones like THE BLIND SIDE, or worse, call it "sappy" or "sentimental"; we will continue to see the same pattern.
Honestly, do you know ANYONE who has seen THE BLIND SIDE that has not liked it (other than some of the dilettante critics, that is) ?
SANDRA BULLOCK is a force to be reckoned with.
THE BLIND SIDE  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
EVERYBODY'S FINE  (PG13)
Every once is awhile, I will let the well-respected movie guru Leonard Maltin weigh in on a particular film if I think it is warranted.
here he is to talk about this one...Take it away, Leonard!!

EVERYBODY'S FINE - Sentiment is a tough sell nowadays, but when I see the success of The Blind Side I know that audiences are just as susceptible as ever to manipulation by a skillful storyteller. Everybody's Fine isn't nearly as ambitious as The Blind Side, and doesn't have the same broad appeal-there's no sports angle, and it isn't based on a true story-but it's a sweet, likable film with a first-rate cast.
Critics, by and large, have been unkind, calling it predictable and cloying. I missed the press screenings, so my wife and I caught up with the film at our local multiplex on Sunday morning. We weren't in the mood for anything heavy, and this admittedly superficial fable suited us fine. Then again, we're the parents of a child in her 20s and, I suppose, openly vulnerable to its story elements: the main character is a retired, recently widowed man who crisscrosses the country to visit his grown children, as they've all canceled plans to join him for a weekend get-together. He decides to surprise them by showing up on their doorsteps, and discovers that each one has been keeping secrets from him-the kind of secrets they used to share with their mother.

Robert De Niro is perfectly agreeable in the role originated by Marcello Mastroianni in Guiseppe Tornatore's 1990 Italian film Stanno Tutti Bene; his offspring are well played by Drew Barrymore, Sam Rockwell, and Kate Beckinsale. With actors of this caliber, the fact that the film glides ever-so-lightly over its story points and character development is more forgivable than it might be in lesser hands. What's more, writer-director Kirk Jones, who made his reputation with Waking Ned Devine, punctuates the film with moments of quiet charm, as everyman De Niro talks with ordinary people he encounters during his travels.

I suppose I should say it plainly: I'm a sucker for sentimentality, and this movie appealed to me.  2009 Leonard Maltin (used with permission)

So, in other words, folks: This is NOT a movie for the "mall crowd" or the snooty critics, but a film for the more mature and sentimental audiences!!
THE PERFECT FIT FOR THE AVON FANS!!!
EVERYBODY'S FINE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI:  (5:15)
SAT & SUN: (2:15) - (5:15)
MON, TUES & WED: 6:40
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE BOONDOCK SAINTS 2: All Saints Day  (R)

There is quite a back-story to the first installment of this action saga, and, in fact, it is too much to detail here. Check out the documentary "Overnight" to see what I mean about a Hollywood story more amazing than fiction.
Actually, this is the sequel that no one thought would ever happen!
-And from the writer/director no one thought would ever work again! (see the documentary).
We aren't quite sure what to expect with this one. We know there is a huge cult following out there, but we are still taking it cautious and only playing it FRI, SAT & SUN. If it surprises us, we'll think about next Fri, Sat & Sun too.
THE BOONDOCK SAINTS 2: All Saints Day (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI ,SAT & SUN: 8:15
A NOTE FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...
Don't forget our annual FREE HOLIDAY MOVIES!!!
This THURSDAY, DEC. 10th @ 7:00 PM see the classic "IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE"
and NEXT THURSDAY, Dec. 17th @ 7:00 PM see Chevy Chase in "CHRISTMAS VACATION" ALL FOR FREE!!!

And this year it is thanks to the Greater Decatur Chamber of Commerce for making this happen!!!

Seeya at the Avon!!
I'll be looking for you and you and...YOU!!