[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS--DEC. 3rd, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Dec 2 16:04:38 EST 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, DEC. 3rd thru THURSDAY, DEC. 10th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

NOW SHOWING:
OLD DOGS (PG) John Travolta & Robin Williams in a sure-fire huge family comedy hit!
NEW MOON (PG13) The latest installment in the huge "Twilight" series!!
THE BLIND SIDE (PG13) Sandra Bullock in the runaway hit heartwarmer!

COMING NEXT WEEK:

DEC. 11th: THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG (G) Classic hand-drawn Disney animation returns!

DEC. 11th: INVICTUS (PG13) New from director CLINT EASTWOOD!! Starring Matt Damon & Morgan Freeman

COMING SOON:
DEC. 25th (Christmas Day): SHERLOCK HOLMES (PG13) Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law!!
DEC. 25th (Christmas Day): IT'S COMPLICATED (PG13) Meryl Streep, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin
JAN. 8th: LEAP YEAR (PG13) Amy Adams cuter than ever!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OLD DOGS (PG)
Hollywood executives are scratching their heads about what exactly happened with this one!
Anytime you have star-power like this, JOHN TRAVOLTA and ROBIN WILLIAMS, and a preview that had everyone on the floor laughing, you have a reasonable expectation the film will be a HUGE hit!
True, the critics were especially cruel to this one, but everyone who has SEEN it has enjoyed it immensely!
So, what happened?
Did it just get knocked down in the "priority list" after NEW MOON and THE BLIND SIDE for Thanksgiving movie-going?
-or-
Will it explode this weekend after the word-of-mouth gets out that it is a very, very funny movie?
It ends next Wednesday to make room for THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG, so you better get there soon!
OLD DOGS (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES & WED: 6:40 (ENDS WEDNESDAY!)

THE BLIND SIDE (PG13)
And here we have the opposite of what I detailed above in the blurb for OLD DOGS...
This SANDRA BULLOCK movie took everyone by storm, and is climbing the box-office charts so fast, it qualifies as a gen-you-ine phenomenon!
We made a BIG BOO-BOO and didn't have it in the BIG theater! (Note: See Below)
You can imagine what a problem that was!
Some of you experienced it first-hand!
Now, as of FRIDAY, DEC. 4th, it WILL be in the BIG 700 seat theater for the entire week (until PRINCESS AND THE FROG takes its spot).
So, see it once, see it twice, see it again and again!
It's THAT GOOD!!
THE BLIND SIDE  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON  (PG13)
And here are the last chances to see this sensation at the Avon!
The Twilight Saga films are another unqualified phenomenon!
Hurry, it ENDS WEDNESDAY to make room for INVICTUS!

NEW MOON  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30 (ENDS WEDNESDAY!)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...
There's an awful lot of self-recriminations about which screens movies are placed on the Avon's 3 screens.
It is NOT an easy thing to decide, and NO ONE knows what will hit and what won't!
Take THE BLIND SIDE vs. OLD DOGS as an example!!
THE BLIND SIDE was seen as this feel-good Sandra Bullock sports comedy/drama, and worthy of solid, but not remarkable box-office, while OLD DOGS was supposed to be this gargantuan behemoth!!
So, of course, I put OLD DOGS in the big theater!
BIG MISTAKE!

What has to be understood here is that once the films are placed in their respective theaters and the schedules posted in the newspaper and the internet, it is virtually impossible to make a change!
All I could do is watch as we sold-out show after show of THE BLIND SIDE all weekend, and think about the 700 mostly empty seats sitting next door in the big theater!
So...
In the immortal words of Mr. Natural, "Who knew???"

For those of you who are still waiting to see THE BLIND SIDE, or wanting to see it again, IT WILL BE IN THE BIG 700 SEAT THEATER STARTING FRIDAY, DEC. 3rd, FOR THE ENTIRE WEEK!!
With all the hub-bub for Turkey day, we forgot a very important anniversary...
SATURDAY, NOV. 28th was the AVON THEATRE'S 93rd BIRTHDAY!!!
I'm looking forward to the 100th in just 7 years!
We'll do something real special for that one!!!!

Come See Me Soon!!