[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS---AUGUST 21st, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Aug 20 13:03:51 EDT 2009

NEWS ON "THE INFORMANT!" SCROLL DOWN!!
"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, AUG. 21st  thru THURSDAY, AUG.  27th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:  THE HURT LOCKER (R) One of the most highly-rated films of the year! White-knuckle suspense!

CONTINUING:      JULIE & JULIA (PG13) MERYL STREEP & AMY ADAMS!! AMBROSIA!!
                       THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE (PG13) The Romance of the Summer!!

COMING NEXT FRIDAY: 500 DAYS OF SUMMER (PG13) Now see it at the Avon!! (where you wanted it all along!)

COMING SOON: ADAM (PG13)
                    PONYO (G)
                   THE INFORMANT (R)
...and LOTS more!!
THE HURT LOCKER (R) Let's let my friend Leonard Maltin, the nationally known film critic, weigh in on this one, ok? Take it away Leonard!
THE HURT LOCKER - It takes all kinds of people to fight a war, and The Hurt Locker focuses on a demolitions expert for whom "war is a drug." That's the fascination of The Hurt Locker, which may be the best film to emerge from the current situation in Iraq. Jeremy Renner plays a man who doesn't say much but willingly, even eagerly, puts his life on the line every day trying to decipher the workings of unexploded bombs and their intricate riggings. It's a fascinating character study that also explores the teamwork involved in waging a war that isn't fought on the front lines but in unexpected places-or sometimes right in the middle of a public street.
One extended sequence in which Renner and his squadron mates (played by Anthony Mackie and Brian Geraghty) conduct a long-range shooting match with the enemy, relying on each other to help fight fatigue, is galvanizing-one of the best single depictions of men in war I've ever seen. Leonard Maltin

OK, folks, one of the most acclaimed films of the year! This is "white knuckle" suspense!!!
Director Katherine Bigelow knows how to deliver the goods on action, and this will not be overlooked come Oscar time!
THE HURT LOCKER (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
JULIE & JULIA (PG13) This is the wonderful movie that just keeps drawing good crowds! MERYL STREEP has another Oscar nomination coming for her spot-on portrayal of Julia Child, and AMY ADAMS is just so darn cute, I fell in love with her in a heartbeat! This is a perfect "Avon movie", and one of those types that seem to be in short supply these days. What a concept! A movie for "grown-ups" for a change! It's been moved BACK to the BIG theater for this week!!!
JULIE & JULIA (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE (PG13) Ready for the love story of the summer? This tear-jerker from the best-selling book of the same name, will enthrall and thrill you. It will also make you cry by the gallon! ERIC BANA and RACHEL McADAMS have chemistry to spare, in a story you can just get caught up in totally!
THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.75 'Bargain Matinees")
MON thru WED: 6:20
THURS: 7:15
SEASON PASSES ARE BACK!! Look for them for a limited time only STARTING NOW!!
They are now called the "V.I.P. MOVIE PASS" !!
We will only sell a limited amount, so make your plans to get yours now. They won't last long, and, we are not going to sell beyond 100 of them this time. We need to better control them, so we will be limiting the number available.
DON'T DELAY!!

V.I.P. Passes are good for 10 Movies (maximum two people at a time) and are: ADULTS: $70.00 SENIORS (60 and over) $52.50.
NEWS ON "THE INFORMANT":
Unfortunately, when we were unexpectedly given a print THE INFORMANT to open on the September 18th "national release" instead of the expected Oct. 9th "expansion", there went all our plans for any special guests!

All of the major stars and Mark Whitacre will be at the major city openings in NY and LA, and not Decatur.

We are on our own!
(And, we'll do just fine!)

We are currently selling group-rate tickets of 50 or more, the individual and smaller groups than 50 (at regular prices) go on sale Sept. 1st at 6 PM.

Pick a showtime:

THURSDAY, SEPT 17th at MIDNIGHT -or-
FRI, SAT & SUN: 1:00, 4:00, 7:00 & 10:00 PM
(WEEKNIGHTS TBD)

---AND GET YOUR GROUP OF 50 OR MORE TOGETHER!!

Don't worry! There will be plenty of seats available!
THE AVON HAS 708 SEATS!!
(Compare that with those tiny crackerbox "other guys" whose maximum seating is somewhere around 220!!)

Call 422-1776 to make your group arrangements or email: Skip at theAvon.com

Let's make this the biggest event in Decatur movie history!