[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS--May 1st, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Apr 29 11:11:40 EDT 2009

*********************************
THURSDAY at MIDNIGHT!! THURSDAY at MIDNIGHT!!
Be the FIRST to see HUGH JACKMAN in
X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE (PG13)
THURSDAY at MIDNIGHT at THE AVON THEATRE!!
>ON DECATUR'S BIGGEST SCREEN TOO!!<
NOTE: "TIGHTWAD TUESDAYS" are BACK for Summer!!
That means ALL SHOWS on Tuesday, for EVERYONE, ONLY $4.50!!!
"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY,  MAY 1st thru THURSDAY, MAY 7th ONLY!!
Check out our way cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY: X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE (PG13) Hugh Jackman as the incredible crimefighter!
                       GHOSTS OF GIRLFRIENDS PAST (PG13) Matthew McConaughey & Jennifer Garner in the first big romantic comedy of the summer!

CONTINUING: STATE OF PLAY (PG13) Your last chances to see this terrific film! ENDS SOON!!

COMING SOON:
MAY 8th:  EARTH (G) The Acclaimed New Disney Documentary! (NOTE:Two shows are already SOLD-OUT!)
MAY 15th: ANGELS AND DEMONS (PG13) Tom Hanks in "DaVinci Code" Sequel!
Memorial Day Weekend,MAY 22nd: TERMINATOR SALVATION (R) Need We Say More??
Memorial Day Weekend,MAY 22nd: NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 2 (PG) Part Two of the Giant Hit!!
JUNE 5th: MY LIFE IN RUINS (PG13) A NEW "Big Fat Greek" Movie!! YAY!!!!! Nia Vardolos is BACK!!
JUNE 12th: THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (R) John Travolta and Denzel Washington in the '73 remake!!
JUNE 19th: THE PROPOSAL (PG13) Sandra Bullock up to mischief!
JUNE 26th: TBA
JULY 1st: PUBLIC ENEMIES (R) Johnny Depp as Dillinger! Christian Bale as the G-Man after him!
JULY 17th: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (PG13) NEW HARRY POTTER!!!!
JULY 24th: THE UGLY TRUTH (PG13) Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl!
AUGUST 7th: JULIE AND JULIA (PG13) Meryl Streep as Julia Child! Co-stars Amy Adams!
WE PROUDLY STATE THE AVON HAS A "ZERO TOLERANCE" POLICY ON CELL PHONE, TEXTING AND DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR!
UNLIKE OTHER THEATERS, WE WILL NOT TOLERATE SUCH BEHAVIOR, AND IT WILL BE DEALT WITH STRONGLY IF YOU REPORT IT TO US.
WE OFTEN ARE "MONITORING" THE AUDITORIUMS, BUT DON'T LET THAT STOP YOU FROM TELLING ANY OF OUR STAFF IF SOMEONE DISTURBS YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE MOVIE.
ALL OF OUR STAFF ARE TRAINED TO DEAL WITH THIS, NOT JUST MANAGEMENT!!!
X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE (PG13) Summer movies are here! And not a moment too soon either! Traditionally, Fall and Spring are the slowest movie seasons for us, but Summer and Winter are the best! Summer is the time when Hollywood trots out the big crowd-pleasing "popcorn pictures", and here is the first one:
HUGH JACKMAN electrifies you in his portrayal of the terrific Wolverine! This is first-class entertainment, folks, and certainly transcends even the slightest stench of "mall movie" to accomplish that difficult cross-over into the mainstream audiences. Just like THE DARK KNIGHT, this looks to be a huge blockbuster! See it on Decatur's BIGGEST screen!!
X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
GHOSTS OF GIRLFRIENDS PAST (PG13) Ok, let's examine these ingredients: MATTHEW McCONAUGHEY, JENNIFER GARNER & MICHAEL DOUGLAS (where the heck has HE been?). Then, mix that with a take on "A Christmas Carol"-type story dynamics, add to all of that the Avon's famous popcorn that sooooo many women are kee-razy about, and you have one of those Avon chick-flicks we are so well-known for!

Women PREFER coming to the Avon for these kind of movies; either by themselves, with a group of girlfriends, or dragging their guys out, because we are a safer environment, our prices are better, our staff is more accomodating, and, of course: that AVON popcorn!
Chick flicks and the Avon, that's a combo made in heaven!!
GHOSTS OF GIRLFRIENDS PAST (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
STATE OF PLAY (PG13) And, here are your last chances to see RUSSELL CROWE, BEN AFFLECK, RACHEL McADAMS and HELEN MIRREN in a superb tale of investigative journalism and political corruption! Take this as a kind of "valentine" to the newspaper business! This one has GOT to leave now to make room for newer ones, but I sure hope you did not miss it!
STATE OF PLAY (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
SUN: (1:00) - (4:00) - 7:00
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30 (Ends Wednesday!)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM SKIP...

It's finally SPRING!!!
My 2nd most favorite time of the year!!!
(My 1st favorite being SUMMER, where it can NEVER get too hot for me!)

I bet many of you don't know how close I came to buying a 6 screen theater in Tucson, Arizona about 5 years ago!
I just love the hot, hot, hot weather out there, and I was actually touring the facility and ready to sign the papers and get set to SKEDADDLE!!

BUT...
Then, I started thinking about the Avon...
Since I am the one who brought the Avon "back from the dead", it is really my responsibility to continue its resurrection!
SO, I decided to stay here in AVONIA!!

Now, whenever those winter storms come and I am chilled to the bone I think "WHY DIDN'T I GO??", but...
then, when SPRING and SUMMER comes, I KNOW why I didn't!

(Plus, I have always liked how spoooooky the Fall is around here!)

Now, as we chalk our 10th year anniversary up on the wall, and look to the start of our 11th year in business,
I am always proud that so many of you approve of what we have done in AVONIA!

Times are tough for all of us, and we at the Avon will be doing what we can to make it easier for you to come to the movies...
We have already rolled back our matinee prices so we are a FULL DOLLAR BELOW the "other guys", and our snack bar items have bigger sizes and better selection than "theirs" too!
 AND, of course our multi-flavored popcorns are on a high quality level that most other theaters could only dream about!
(Why is our popcorn so much better? We use only locally-grown ultra-hybrid corn--not "trashy cheap corn" like so many other theaters do--and we pop EXCLUSIVELY in ADM Sunflower oil, which is the most expensive oil, but also the healthiest and best-tasting too!)

(By the way, our nighttime ticket prices are below the "other guys" too!)

PLUS, we have brought back your favorite TIGHTWAD TUESDAYS, where all shows on Tuesdays, all summer long, are only $4.50!! That's right: $4.50!!!

If The Avon's "TIGHTWAD TUESDAY" is not the REAL "Stimulus Tuesday", I don't know what is!

Come See Me This Weekend!
I'll Be Looking for you and you and... ESPECIALLY YOU!!