[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS--APRIL 3rd, 2009

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Apr 1 14:02:51 EDT 2009

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, APRIL 3rd thru THURSDAY, APRIL 9th ONLY!!
Check out the new look of our website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY: SUNSHINE CLEANING (R) Amy Adams, Alan Arkin & Emily Blunt in the hit indy film about an "interesting" small business enterprise. AN AVON EXCLUSIVE!!
                               FAST AND FURIOUS (PG13) High speed, pedal-to-the-metal fun with Vin Diesel and Paul Walker!

CONTINUING:      DUPLICITY (PG13) Last Chance for the Julia Roberts/Clive Owen hit!

COMING SOON:
(NOTE: This list is by no means COMPLETE or FINAL!)
NEXT WEEK: OBSERVE AND REPORT (R) The FUNNIER "mall cop" movie!
APRIL 17th: STATE OF PLAY (PG13) Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck embroiled in scandal!
APRIL 24th: TBA
MAY 1st: X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE (PG13) Summer blockbusters start!
MAY 1st: GHOSTS OF GIRLFRIENDS PAST (PG13) Matthew McConaughey chick flick! Avon "Gold"!
MAY 8th: TBA
MAY 15th: ANGELS AND DEMONS (PG13) Tom Hanks in "DaVinci Code" Sequel!
Memorial Day Weekend,MAY 22nd: TERMINATOR SALVATION (R) Need We Say More??
Memorial Day Weekend,MAY 22nd: NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 2 (PG) Part Two of the Giant Hit!!
JUNE 5th: LAND OF THE LOST (PG13) Will Ferrell Gets Chased by Dinosaurs! (Maybe EATEN too??)
JUNE 12th: THE PROPOSAL (PG13) Sandra Bullock up to mischief!
JUNE 12th: THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123 (R) John Travolta and Denzel Washington in the '73 remake!!
JUNE 19th: MY LIFE IN RUINS (PG13) A NEW "Big Fat Greek" Movie!! YAY!!!!! Nia Vardolos is BACK!!
JUNE 26th: TBA
JULY 1st: PUBLIC ENEMIES (R) Johnny Depp as Dillinger! Christian Bale as the G-Man after him!
JULY 17th: HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE (PG13) NEW HARRY POTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!
JULY 24th: THE UGLY TRUTH (PG13) Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl!
AUGUST 7th: JULIA AND JULIA (PG13) Meryl Streep as Julia Child! Co-stars Amy Adams!
(All Dates Subject to Change)
STILL TIME TO SIGN-UP FOR THE NEW FILM CLASS
STARTING THURSDAY, APRIL 9th @ 6:30 PM Sharp!
This is a 6-week course that has "SIX CLASSIC COMEDIES" as its theme!!
That's right, it's time for some belly-laughs, and I am going to present in my popular screening and discussion series 6 of the finest examples of movie comedy ever made!
There will be probably NOT be anything that is NEW in this series, as we are talking "classics" and anything of recent vintage has not stood the test of time...yet.
What will be shown is laff-fests from the '30's, '40's, '50's, '60's and '70's.
This will be a 6 weeker, with a cost of $60.
You can contact this Richland official:
Jennifer Peterson
875-7211, Ext. 353
JPeterso at richland.edu
-or, simply come a little early to the first night of class and sign up with her in-person!
Classes start at 6:30 and doors are locked at 6:35, so get there a bit early to grab your favorite seat and your popcorn (or nachos, candy or hot-dogs).
SUNSHINE CLEANING (R) There is nothing in the performing arts more exciting than to watch some new stars right on the verge of breaking out. AMY ADAMS is a huge talent, and will someday be one of our top actresses in any genre. EMILY BLUNT is in the same league. Her work in THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA was one of the elements that made it so popular. Then, there is veteran Oscar winner ALAN ARKIN...Who could have divined he would have such a late-career success? But: There ya' go!
This huge hit indy film is about two sisters who decide to start a business venture that is, well...
Comic favorite STEVE ZAHN also rounds out the cast of this AVON EXCLUSIVE!
SUNSHINE CLEANING (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
FAST AND FURIOUS (PG13) Admit it: Sometimes you feel like a nut, right? Sometimes, you just want to screech the tires and feel the speed, right? This is a primal emotion ever since ancient man found out that round wheels made a cart go so much faster!!! This new entry in the series has the original cast, and that is a real exciting point to its fans! VIN DIESEL and PAUL WALKER are back!
FAST AND FURIOUS (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DUPLICITY  (PG13) JULIA ROBERTS and CLIVE OWEN have chemistry to spare in this frothy and serpentine spy comic-thriller. This is one of those you have to watch and listen carefully to. Honestly, there have been some who did not "get" it, and there have been some who DID "get" it after they saw it again! (And there have been many who "got" it immediately and really, really liked it!). It ENDS SOON, so get thee down there!!
DUPLICITY  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00/$5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM SKIP...
So, for some unfathomable reason, many of you are asking where I stand on the current, and hotly contested, city election coming on April 7th...
Maybe it's because a lot of you know I shoot from the hip and really am capable of saying anything to anyone at any time.
(Or maybe it's because you know the only true motive I have is for a better Decatur?)

Having said all that, I am afraid you are on your own on this one.

I am fairly familiar with all the candidates, and I can assure each and every one of you of this:
There is not a mass-murderer or war criminal in the entire bunch!

This election certainly has its controversial and tricky elements, and I do advise all of you to look VERY carefully at ALL of the candidates, and what persons and/or factions are behind-the-scenes as well.
(In truth, there are few movies that have as many questionable and possibly duplicitous elements as this election!)

Suffice to say:
Study the candidates.
Consider their associations.
The answers are there, but you will need to discern them for yourself.

(You are AVON customers! That means you are smarter than many others! You will see the patterns I am referring to!)

-BUT...
I am sticking to MOVIES and POPCORN!!
Come See Us Soon!