[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS 3/28/08

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Mar 26 15:47:24 EDT 2008

WEEK OF FRIDAY, MARCH 28th  thru THURSDAY, APRIL 3rd ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:
MARRIED LIFE (PG13) Pierce Brosnan, Chris Cooper & Rachel McAdams! (LIMITED ENGAGEMENT!!)
P.S. I LOVE YOU (PG13) Gerard Butler & Hilary Swank (BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND! ONE WEEK ONLY!)
BONNEVILLE (PG) Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates & Joan Allen! (HELD-OVER!! LIMITED ENGAGEMENT!!)

CONTINUING:
HORTON HEARS A WHO! (G) The biggest movie in the world!! (ENDS THIS WEEK!!)

SPECIAL EVENT:
FILM CLASSES RESUME THURSDAY, March 28th @ 6:30 PM!
Have you enrolled yet for "AMERICANA AT THE MOVIES--PT. 1" ???
You can enroll Thursday night at app. 6:15 (class starts at 6:30).

COMING NEXT WEEK:
April 4th: NIM'S ISLAND (PG) Jodi Foster, Gerard Butler & Abigail Breslin
April 4th: LEATHERHEADS (PG13) George Clooney & Renee Zellweger
MARRIED LIFE (PG13) What a cast! PIERCE BROSNAN, Oscar Winner CHRIS COOPER, Tony Winner PATRICIA CLARKSON and not-seen-very-much-lately RACHEL McADAMS in a serpentine tale of adultery and murder. This comes highly-recommended!!
LIMITED ENGAGEMENT!!
MARRIED LIFE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
P.S. I LOVE YOU (PG13) When this little romantic comedy/drama was first released back around Christmas, we, sadly, did not have the screen available for it! That meant that many of you either did not see it (because we weren't playing it), or had to suffer the slings and arrows of the "other guys"! We kept thinking we should probably bring it in as a "fill-in" title a bit later, but time went by...
Then, we noticed there was STILL NO VIDEO RELEASE of it! So, guess what?? We will FINALLY play the movie that SHOULD HAVE BEEN OURS ALL ALONG, at THE AVON!!  The ultra-hot hunky guy GERARD BUTLER stars with double-Oscar Winner HILARY SWANK (all cleaned up and pretty darn foxy this time around), with co-stars LISA KUDROW, GINA GERSHON and HARRY CONNICK, Jr.!! This is a LIMITED ENGAGEMENT, so please make the time to get down to see it where all good chick flicks should ONLY play!
P.S. I LOVE YOU (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI, SAT & SUN: 8:00 PM ONLY!
MON thru THURS: 6:30
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BONNEVILLE (PG) Last week, when we played this little "discovery" gem on Friday, Saturday and Sunday only, many of you came to see it and were very pleasantly surprised at this wonderful film starring Oscar-winners JESSICA LANGE and KATHY BATES, plus Oscar nominee JOAN ALLEN with TOM SKERRITT (where has he been hiding?). In fact, we were so encouraged, we are going to give it another FRI, SAT & SUN run! I don't think we will be able to hold it over again, so get thy fanny down to see it!! FRI, SAT & SUN ONLY!!
BONNEVILLE (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (5:00)
SAT & SUN: (2:00) - (5:00)
(NOTE: ALL SHOWS OF "BONNEVILLE" ONLY $5.50 ADMISSION!!)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HORTON HEARS A WHO! (G)  It is coming to the time that HORTON will hear his last "Who" at The Avon! HORTON is still doing strong business, but we need to clear the screen for the new ones coming next week! HURRY!! ENDS THIS WEEK!!
HORTON HEARS A WHO! (G)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
RANDOM NOTES FROM THE HEAD HONCHO
Decatur is buzzing, buzzing, buzzing about the major MATT DAMON movie THE INFORMANT being filmed here in April and May.
I have heard there will be 200 Hollywood people here for about 6-7 weeks, and that production offices have been secured in downtown!
(Where else?). This film, from one of the two books about the ADM price-fixing scandal, is said to be sure-fire Oscar Nomination material for Matt Damon! (And, who knows? Maybe even a bunch more awards like "Best Picture" even??) The director, Stephen Soderbergh, is a first-class talent, and has a great track-record for solid films. This will be an exciting thing for Decatur, and I certainly hope all of you think so too!
Avon friend and sometime-staffer, the author TROY TAYLOR will be opening up his coolness shop very soon at 228 West Main street in downtown Decatur (where else?). Troy's shop is called "Prairie Fire" and will carry a complete selection of Troy's books (he has written and published over 53 at last count!). It was also carry exotic teas and other hard-to-find items, including a selection of the Avon's Gourmet Popcorns!!! That's right, you will now be able to get some of the "Avon Exclusive" flavors of popcorn like our "Avon Style" and our "Crazy Banana Split" right there at Troy's shop!!
This is all part and parcel to our reviving our "Mr. Popcorn" line that has been dormant for about 18 years now. Troy's shop is right across from the Salvation Army building, located where the beautiful renovations to West Main street begin.
THE AVON GOES GREEN!! No, we are not going to paint the theater a St. Patrick's day color, we are going to enter the New Age of environmental responsibility! Avon Special Projects Coordinator JILL BERGIN has taken on this chore of getting all the interior lighting in both Avon lobbies to not only be more energy efficient, but environmentally sound too! Unfortunately, there are no "green" bulbs that we know of yet to replace the exterior chaser bulbs on the marquee, but much of the marquee was already converted from incandescent to fluorescent (I know I probably spelled those words wrong, but they aren't in my spell-check!) a few years back. Jill will be assessing exactly what we need and get-r-done very soon! I am grateful that she pointed out this way for us to conserve energy and not have to keep changing those blasted bulbs all the time too! All of you might consider going "green" as well! It doesn't hurt a bit!! The initial cost for the bulbs is a bit higher, but the long-term savings will more than make up for it!

Come See Me This Weekend!
I'll Be Looking for You, and You and...YOU!!