[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS 3/14/08

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Mar 12 15:39:35 CDT 2008

WEEK OF FRIDAY, MARCH 14th  thru THURSDAY, MARCH 20th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:
HORTON HEARS A WHO!! (G) The voices of Jim Carey and Steve Carrell (and others)

CONTINUING:
10,000 BC (PG13) Big adventure in the distant past!
THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL (PG13) Steamy dalliances in Henry VIII's court! (ENDS SOON!!)

COMING NEXT WEEK:
BONNEVILLE (PG) Jessica Lange, Kathy Bates & Joan Allen Hit the Road!! (An Avon DISCOVERY!!)
-plus------?????

IMMEDIATE EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES AT THE AVON!!
We have IMMEDIATE openings for:
*Lobby Staff Positions
Apply IN-PERSON to Susan, Ashley or Skip
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS!
Must have dependable transportation and be able to
work NIGHTS and WEEKENDS!! No Exceptions!
We prefer over 18 years of age.
NEW FILM CLASS STARTS SOON!!
The newest Richland-at-the-Avon film class, AMERICANA AT THE MOVIES, will begin on Thursday, March 27th @ 6:30 PM at the Avon!!
This 8-week course, which will examine and discuss many films that portray the American experience down through history, is a brand
new course subject for the 6 year-old film classes, and looks to be a real winner!
You can sign up on the night of class! Just get there about 15 minutes early, and an "official" from Richland will be there to enroll you and receive your $80 tuition fee. (There are also enrollment forms available in our lobbies!)
HORTON HEARS A WHO! (G) The beloved Dr. Seuss book comes to wonderful life with the combined talents of Jim Carey, Steve Carrell and Carol Burnett (yes, you read that correctly) not to mention a whole bunch more. For those of you who have asked us to bring more family films to the Avon so that you can enjoy the area's BEST popcorn, and not be jostled by hooligans; here is your answer!
Remember: The Avon is a "hooligan free zone", and is Decatur's SAFEST theater! (Plus, we are not only BETTER, but CHEAPER than the "other guys"). Bring the whole family to see HORTON at THE AVON!!
HORTON HEARS A WHO! (G)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
10,000 BC  (PG13) This thundering epic will bring out the wide-eyed kid in everyone! So what if the time in history doesn't make sense?? This is THE MOVIES, duh! Wooly mammoths, sabre-tooth tigers, strange Raptor-like gollyoopus creatures, brawny warriors and scantily-clad ladies! I LOVED IT!!!
10,000 B.C.  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 6:40
THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL  (PG13) This is your last chance to see this "bodice ripper" from the best-selling novel. For those of you who see Henry VIII as this corpulent, gout-ridden head-chopper; think again! Ol' Henry was quite the ladies' man in his youthful day, and he sure caused a lot of trouble because of it! (So little changes through time, huh?) Scarlett Johansson, Eric Bana and the uber-sexy Natalie Portman star! ENDS SOON!!!
THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL(PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM SKIP
Thanks to all of you for your huge positive response to the great spread about the Avon beginning its 10th year in the latest issue of the Decatur glossy magazine LIMITED EDITION. This is the ONLY area magazine that goes to great pains to include DECATUR enterprise and endeavors, and I am personally grateful to the mag's head-honcho Ralf Pansch for recognizing this unfulfilled need to detail so many Decatur businesses and people!
If you have not received your copy yet, we have FREE extras in our lobbies!
Big props to the Herald & Review for providing this professional and first-class item!
In fact, last Friday, March 7, LIMITED EDITION was awarded 1st place by the Illinois Press Association for best magazine (or, Best Niche Publication in their vernacular). While winning 1st place w/ the IPA is an achievement, what makes this truly significant is that this is the fourth straight year that LIMITED EDITION Magazine has taken 1st place.

I know that the big poo-bahs at the Herald & Review recognize what a sterling publication LIMITED EDITION is, but this is a little "reminder" just in case they have been too busy to notice.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Yet Another Note...
My musician days are long behind me now.
I still have my guitars, including my Gibson Les Paul that was custom designed by me, and built to those specifications by Gibson.
(It even has my signature embossed in gold on it!).
But, I am much too busy these days to even pick up one of my old guitar pals for just a mere minute or two...

Many of you know that I had quite a career in music back in the day, and played with some surprising people during my years living in California.
One of those famous West Coast guys I jammed with for several months, just died last week...

Buddy Miles was a legendary drummer.
The list of guitar icons he played with is astounding! From "guitar gods" like Mike Bloomfield, Jimi Hendrix and Carlos Santana to lesser-knowns like Jim McCarty and totally unknowns like ME!

Buddy and I stayed in touch for a few years after I moved to Reno, Nevada. In fact, he called once when he was performing nearby in Lake Tahoe just to touch base.

That was a long time ago.
Buddy died last week at the age of 60.

Heaven has a brand new beat now.

Catch ya' on the flip side, Buddy!
Come See Me This Weekend!!

Horton and I will be looking for YOO-HOO!!!