[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS JUNE 20th, 2008

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Jun 18 17:29:13 CDT 2008

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Prof.Skippito Hustonovitch
WEEK OF FRIDAY, JUNE 20th  thru THURSDAY, JUNE 26th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:
GET SMART (PG13)

CONTINUING:
THE INCREDIBLE HULK (PG13)
KUNG FU PANDA (PG)

SPECIAL EVENT:
FILM CLASSES RESUME THURSDAY, June 19th @ 6:30 PM
with "OVERLOOKED FILMS--Part 6"
YOU CAN SIGN-UP THE NIGHT OF THE FIRST CLASS!!

COMING SOON:
JUNE 27th: WALL-E (G)
JULY 4th: HANCOCK (PG13)
JULY 11th: ???
JULY 18th: THE DARK KNIGHT (PG13)
JULY 18th: MAMMA MIA! (PG13)
JULY 25th: X-FILES: I WANT TO BELIEVE (PG13)
AUG 1st: THE MUMMY 3 (PG13)
...and MORE!!!
DON'T FORGET "GAS-CRUNCH TUESDAYS"!!!
ALL SHOWS ONLY $4.50 ON TUESDAYS!!!
TAKE THAT, YOU GREEDY OIL BARONS!!
LONG LIVE AMERICAN FREE ENTERPRISE!!!!
NOTE: BE SURE YOU REMEMBER THE FOLLOWING
SHOWTIME'S ARE FOR THE WEEK STARTING FRIDAY, JUNE 20th!
GET SMART  (PG13) Would you believe a movie based on this long-lamented TV show?? Comic superstar STEVE CARELL replaces the Don Adams role, and the foxy ANNE HATHAWAY is in the old Barbara Feldon role. Throw in Oscar winner Alan Arkin and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, and you are in for loads of fun! This has a lot of high-adventure too!
GET SMART  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THE INCREDIBLE HULK (PG13) Ok, so the critics actually liked this one too! After those pasty-faced smarty-pants scribes gave good reviews to IRON MAN, I thought that was unlikely to happen again anytime soon...BUT, surprise! This second of the new films from the Marvel line, is a real crowd-pleaser! Of course, it doesn't hurt that an A-list actor like EDWARD NORTON is playing the role either! Great fun, folks!
THE INCREDIBLE HULK (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

FRI: (4:00) - 7:00
SAT &  SUN: (1:00) - (4:00) - 7:00
MON, TUES & WED: 6:30
THURS: 7:00
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
KUNG FU PANDA (PG) And talk about "fun"??? This one has it in spades! This will be your last chances to see JACK BLACK and ANGELINA JOLIE voice the lovable characters in this totally original family film! ENDS SOON!!
KUNG FU PANDA (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...
What a fabulous night was had with last week's special advance showing of Jake Rademacher's extraordinary BROTHERS AT WAR.
As so many of you are aware, this was shown last Thursday, and tickets were at a premium.
(In fact, all 700 seats sold-out in a matter of hours on the first day of sales!)

Yes, it was a "hot" night (in more ways than one), and the show was superb in all facets.
Unfortunately, the double-whammy of the air conditioning at the pre-show at Daugherty's not being able to cool the huge crowd properly, and only compounded by the Avon having the same problem a bit later, was a bit of an obstacle, but the show itself made the higher-than-normal temperatures all worth it.

We have been assured by Jake Rademacher that the Avon will be the local location of the general release run in late August or early September, and, there may be another huge event planned for that opening as well!
(Details as they become safe to quote).

The planners of this thing were a totally awesome bunch (I hate that over-used word "awesome", but it really applies in this instance) and hats off to St. Mary's Hospital, J.L. Hubbard Insurance, The Joyner Radio Group, the Herald & Review, all the local investors in the film, and a dozen that I probably forgot to mention!

Thanks as well to Oscar nominee, actor/director GARY SINISE, who so believes in Jake's movie, he made the trip to the Avon to support it!

Thanks, too goes to our volunteer staff (you know who you are) for becoming citizens of "Avonia" for a night!
I hope you enjoyed yourselves!

Plus, there is our own staff: Our Manager Ashley Petty; our Assistant Manager, Molly Kiick; our Project Coordinator, Jill Bergin, and literally our entire crew who all pulled together to make this happen!

(Not to mention former staffer Mary Herrod, who came back from her home in Indianapolis to sing "America the Beautiful" at the start of the program. What a voice! You will be hearing more from her, trust me!)

Good on ya', guys!

Come See Me This Weekend!!
I'll Be Looking for ALL of YOU!!!