[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS 2/29/08

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Tue Feb 26 21:06:31 EST 2008

WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 29th  thru THURSDAY, MARCH 6th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY:
THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL (PG13) Two Sisters---One King. Starring Scarlett Johansson, Natalie Portman and Eric Bana. From the Best-Selling Book!!
SWEENEY TODD (R) Johnny Depp in the acclaimed musical!! LIMITED ENGAGEMENT!!

CONTINUING:

DEFINITELY, MAYBE (PG13) Ryan Reynolds & Abigail Breslin in a Wonderful Romantic Comedy!! ENDS THURSDAY!!

COMING NEXT WEEK:
10,000 B.C. (PG13) Epic Adventure from the Distant Past!

IMMEDIATE EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES AT THE AVON!!
We have IMMEDIATE openings for:
*Lobby Staff Positions
Apply IN-PERSON to Susan, Ashley or Skip
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS!
Must have dependable transportation and be able to
work NIGHTS and WEEKENDS!! No Exceptions!
We prefer over 18 years of age.
THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL (PG13) You know what? I really like movies about the court intrigue and nefariousness of historic
jolly olde England! Maybe there is some sort of ancestral memory there? (Although I am of Scot descent) . This filming of the partly-fictitious best-selling novel about the two Boleyn sisters and their rivalry for King Henry VIII, has been long awaited here at the Avon. The always sturdy Eric Bana (MUNICH) and Scarlett Johansson with the incredibly gorgeous Natalie Portman (woof!) combine to bring a story of two sisters and one king. Most of us know how it all turned out for one of the Boleyn girls, but what of the other?? This is a first-class "Avon movie"!!
THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: 7:00

SWEENEY TODD (The Demon Barber of Fleet Street) (R) Ok, so better late than never, huh? After so many people bugged us about playing this, I started to think about it in these terms: It only played at ONE of the Decatur area's two "other guys" back in early January, and there are many of you who have the attitude "if it doesn't play THE AVON, you will wait for video", and there are just as many of you who would rather support the LOCALLY OWNED theater...
So, for ONE-WEEK-ONLY, here is Tim Burton's adaptation of the famed musical, with Johnny Depp singing!!
SWEENEY TODD  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON, TUES & WED: 7:00 ENDS WEDNESDAY!!

DEFINITELY, MAYBE (PG13) These are your last chances to see this heartfelt little gem. If you miss it, don't complain to me!
We kept it at least a week longer than we should have, just waiting for YOU to finally discover it! ENDS THURSDAY!!
DEFINITELY, MAYBE  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
MON thru THURS: 7:10 ENDS THURSDAY!!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM SKIP

So, how did the Oscars turn out for you?
I just read that this was the least-watched and lowest-rated Oscar broadcast in history, and it is pretty easy to see why...

Movie industry hoo-hahs will try and blame it on the lost momentum from the writer's strike.
-But, that is not the answer.

Certain so-called "film critics" and snooty, cooler-than-you (they think) "entertainment writers" will try to  blame it on the audiences...
(The inference being the mass audiences are just not "hip enough" to really appreciate some of these bleak and hopeless new films).
-But, the audience's only culpability is in wanting a quality movie for their hard-earned money!

The answers are certainly not easy, and I am not trying to say I have any magic bullet either, but, it seems to me that many of our filmmakers have lost touch with what pleases an audience.

Maybe if more of the filmmakers and critics had to actually FACE an audience after one of their lauded movies, they would try to do a better job at delivering the goods!

For instance: the critics unanimously disliked THE BUCKET LIST, and yet all of the Avon patrons sang its praises to the skies!
Conversely, the critics all raved about THERE WILL BE BLOOD and NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, yet I just about had to hire a bodyguard to protect me from the angry viewers of those two dubiously labeled "award worthy" films.

What it all boils down to, as far as THE AVON is concerned, is there is an "expectation of quality" when you come to our theaters...
>We don't play the junk.
>We don't cater to the hooligans and trouble-makers.
>We have a "zero tolerance" factor for disruptive behavior.

AND, after this year's Oscar debacle, with some of the worst films I have ever seen nominated for "Best Picture", I will never again trust critical opinion in any film booking decision!
You shouldn't either!

Just remember: If it plays the Avon, you can be assured (within reason) that it has met a rigid criteria of standards that are gauged to your satisfaction! I would always rather play something that YOU will LIKE!!

Come See Me This Weekend!!