[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS--Dec. 19th

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Tue Dec 16 17:45:01 EST 2008

NOTE: This is a Special "Holiday Edition" Newsletter
It covers Friday, Dec. 19th thru SUNDAY, Dec. 28th!!
"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, DEC. 19th thru SUNDAY, DEC. 28th ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

OPENING FRIDAY: CADILLAC RECORDS (R) Oscar-Winner ADRIEN BRODY and BEYONCE KNOWLES in the incredible true story of Chicago's legendary Chess Records (ONE-WEEK-ONLY!!)

CONTINUING: THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (PG13) (ENDS SOON!!)

OPENING CHRISTMAS DAY:DEC. 25th: MARLEY & ME (PG13) Jennifer Aniston & Owen Wilson
                                 DEC. 25th: BEDTIME STORIES (G) Adam Sandler
                                 DEC. 25th: DOUBT (PG13) Meryl Streep, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams

SPECIAL EVENT: FOUR FREE CHRISTMAS MOVIES THIS WEEKEND!!
                        The Decatur Herald & Review Presents a Christmas Gift to EVERYONE!!
                       *FRIDAY, DEC. 19th @ 7:00 PM: CHRISTMAS VACATION (PG) Chevy Chase
                       *SATURDAY, DEC. 20th @ 2:00 PM: A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS & FROSTY THE SNOWMAN (G)
                       *SATURDAY, DEC. 20th @ 7:00 PM: Jim Carrey in THE GRINCH WHO STOLE CHRISTMAS (G)
                 *SUNDAY, DEC. 21st @ 4:00 PM: Will Ferrell in ELF (G)
                       ALL OF THEM FREE!!!

COMING SOON:
GRAN TORINO--Clint Eastwood
BRIDE WARS--Kate Hudson & Anne Hathaway
AVON GIFT CERTIFICATES AND SEASON PASSES MAKE THE PERFECT CHRISTMAS GIFT!!
GIFT CERTIFICATES COME IN $5, $10 & $20 DENOMINATIONS, AND NEVER EXPIRE, AND ARE ALWAYS GOOD FOR FACE-VALUE!!
SEASON PASSES ARE GOOD FOR TEN (10) MOVIES, AND ARE $50 FOR SENIORS & $70 FOR ADULTS.
ALL AVAILABLE AT OUR BOX-OFFICE DURING BUSINESS HOURS!
(WE ALSO DO GROUP RATE GIFT CERTIFICATES TOO!! CALL US AT 422-1776 FOR DETAILS)
CADILLAC RECORDS  (R) The story behind Chicago-based legendary Chess Records, and their meteoric rise to fame and fortune, has always been one that begged for big screen treatment. Best Actor Oscar winner ADRIEN BRODY, pop music superstar BEYONCE KNOWLES, and just about the most versatile actor working today, JEFFREY WRIGHT, all come together for a film that has been sadly overlooked in the two weeks since it was first released. Unfortunately, we only had a one-week spot for it right here before the holidays, so you need to get a move on to see it! There is NO way we can hold it over with the three big ones coming on Christmas day! We warned you! See it while you can!
CADILLAC RECORDS  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00- $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

MON & TUES: 6:30
WED: (1:00) (Closing early for Christmas Eve) (ENDS WEDNESDAY!!)

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL  (PG13) KEANU REEVES and one of my faves, JENNIFER CONNELLY star with that cooool robot, GORT, in the remake and re-envisioning of the sci-fi classic! This is the Numero Uno movie in America right now, and it is a real good 'un too! HURRY!! It ENDS WEDNESDAY!!
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00- $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

MON & TUES: 6:45
WED: (1:15) (Closing early for Christmas Eve) (ENDS WEDNESDAY!!)
MARLEY & ME  (PG13) Ok, that bad doggie is about to invade Avonia! This movie from the beloved best-selling book of the same name starring JENNIFER ANISTON (woof) and OWEN WILSON looks to be a contender for the biggest movie of the holiday season! You've been laughing at the previews for months now, and you've all seen that huge standee of Marley in our Twins entry way...Now, here is the world's worst dog!!
MARLEY & ME  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00- $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: (Christmas Day): (2:00) - (5:00) - 8:00

FRI, SAT & SUN: (2:00) - (5:00) - 8:00
MON thru THURS: TBA
BEDTIME STORIES  (PG) Y'know, I really don't like ADAM SANDLER. I never have. He is on my "list" of perfumers I'd rather not have on my precious Avonian screens (along with Will Ferrell, and some other doofus geeks)---HOWEVER, there ARE notable exceptions to every rule... This film is a DISNEY film, so that makes it a cut above anyway...But, this story, which has a distinct "Night at the Museum" vibe is what sold me! Plus, it has KERI RUSSELL in it, who has been a  major heartbeat of mine ever since I sat through WAITRESS about a gazillion times. And, there is toughie GUY PEARCE, and "Friends" alumnus COURTENEY COX, and even "Xena" herself, LUCY LAWLESS. Really, what's not to like for a holiday family movie? And, guess what? There are a whole lot of folks who like ADAM SANDLER too!
BEDTIME STORIES  (G)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00- $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: (Christmas Day): (1:15) - (4:15) - 7:15

FRI, SAT & SUN: (1:15) - (4:15) - 7:15
MON thru THURS: TBA
DOUBT  (PG13) WOW! Let me say that again: "WOW!!" This powerhouse drama from John Patrick Shanley's Pulitzer Prize winning play has "OSCAR" written all over it! When you consider the Oscar-winning talents of MERYL STREEP as a suspicious head nun and PHILLIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN as a progressive young priest, then, AMY ADAMS as a young nun who is conflicted in her duties, and VIOLA DAVIS as the mother of a student in the center of a controversy that may, or may NOT, be true...Is there any "doubt" this is one film that will factor heavily at all the major award shows this year?
DOUBT  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00- $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: (Christmas Day): (1:00) - (4:00) - 7:00

FRI, SAT & SUN: (1:00) - (4:00) - 7:00
MON thru THURS: TBA
A NOTE FROM SKIP...

WHY I CHOSE TO NOT RUN FOR DECATUR CITY COUNCIL

"Politics" per se', and by strictest definition, is about NOT making everyone happy.
(And, in recent cases of government corruption, it seems to all-too-often be about only making ONESELF happy!)

To use a new parlance from the younger set: I don't roll that way.

My entire frame of existence strives to make ALL feel welcome and satisfied.
At the Avon Theater, we feel like we have failed in our duty if anyone has a less-than-satisfactory experience!!

I desperately wanted to see change in our city government.
Our current city council, while exemplary in its ingredients, has become a stuck-in-the-mire, dysfunctional picture of indecisiveness and petty in-fighting.

I am confident now, when considering all of the fine people who have come forward to run, that we will see a positive new direction after the election in April.

In other words: It didn't have to be done by ME!

But, rest assured, I will still be around to cry "foul" every time I catch a whiff of "special interest deals" and
"vanity pork projects"---and, by my not being affiliated to any particular private agenda group, my voice will carry more gravitas anyway!

But, THANKS to all of you who signed my petitions and were in support of me all the way!

I'm going to sit this one out and watch from the sidelines.

Come See Me Soon!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!