[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE EXTRA! EXTRA!

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Tue Dec 23 14:14:43 EST 2008

AVON THEATRE EXTRA! EXTRA!
Read All About It!!

Greetings, faithful citizens of AVONIA!!
We have some "insider info" to impart to you with this Extra! Extra!, but let's get the nuts and bolts out of the way first:
HERE ARE OUR HOLIDAY HOURS STARTING CHRISTMAS DAY, THURSDAY, DEC. 25th:

MARLEY & ME  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00- $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: (Christmas Day): (2:00) - (5:00) - 8:00

FRI, SAT & SUN: (2:00) - (5:00) - 8:00
MON thru THURS (New Year's Day): (2:00) - (5:00) - 8:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BEDTIME STORIES  (G)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00- $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: (Christmas Day): (1:15) - (4:15) - 7:15

FRI, SAT & SUN: (1:15) - (4:15) - 7:15
MON thru THURS (New Year's Day): (1:15) - (4:15) - 7:15
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
DOUBT  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $6.00- $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
THURS: (Christmas Day): (1:00) - (4:00) - 7:00

FRI, SAT & SUN: (1:00) - (4:00) - 7:00
MON thru THURS (New Year's Day): (1:00) - (4:00) - 7:00
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NEW YEAR'S EVE SPECIAL!!
Ring in the New Year with "The KING"!!!
Elvis Presley & Ann-Margret in
VIVA LAS VEGAS (G)
One Showing at 10:00 PM New Year's Eve ONLY!!
The show will include some surprises and will be timed to end with the New Year's count-down!!
Come early to hear Skip Huston talk about his personal experience on the set of "Viva Las Vegas" when the opening scene was being filmed!
>ADVANCE TICKETS NOT NECESSARY!!
>REGULAR PRICES APPLY!!
Spend New Year's Eve in the safe and sane comfort of the Avon!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"INSIDER NOTES"
If you see a couple of familiar faces this holiday season, it is because two of our long-term veteran Lobby Staffers, Jennifer Snarsky and Abby Andrick are home from college for the holidays and back at their posts at the Avon!
We couldn't be happier to see them again!
(In fact, the only veteran staffer who is missing this season is Molly Kiick, who is spending Christmas in London, England this year!---I tried to convince her that Avonia beats out London any time, but she was too hard of a sell!)
And now, here is the "insider news" you have all been waiting for...
It is NOT "officially announced" yet, and will not be until sometime in January, but...
THE AVON won #1 in the Herald & Review's "Reader's Choice" award for the Decatur area's "BEST PLACE TO SEE A MOVIE" again!!!
---but, that ain't all, folks!!
In a totally unprecedented and wholly surprising outcome, it seems that I, SKIP HUSTON, came in #2 in that same poll for "BEST DECATURITE"!! (Former mayor Paul Osborne won #1).
I am shocked to my shoes, and THANK ALL OF YOU from the bottom of my heart!!

As far as the "BEST POPCORN" category, we placed #2 on that too, with Del's as #1.
All I can say on that one is: Wait 'til next year!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A HOLIDAY NOTE FROM SKIP...
As we near our 10th year anniversary in April, and start our 11th year of continuous operation, I have many, many blessings to contemplate...
The old Avon has survived against so many odds, and surmounted such a myriad of obstacles, it begins to take on an almost supernatural bent.

A movie theater like the Avon is NOT "supposed" to work in this day and age!
For an admittedly underfinanced Ma & Pa operation like the Avon to successfully compete against the huge chain theaters, is an almost unheard of anomaly in our industry!

Take that factor and add what the obnoxious "naysayers" of Decatur spout that "nothing good ever happens here anyway"!

-You know what I say? "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!"

The Avon works because we are not business people who are mired and enslaved to a "bottom line" mentality!
-Just like Mama in the classic "The Grapes of Wrath": we keep a'goin'!

AND, we "keep a'goin'" because ALL we have ever asked of you is to come buy a ticket, get some of Decatur's BEST popcorn and let us entertain you!
We don't need to shill for all those taxpayer-supported state grants and corporate donations because...
WE'RE THE PEOPLE!
WE KEEP A'GOIN'!!

May almighty God bless and keep you warm and safe in this most blessed of seasons!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

-FROM THE ENTIRE AVON THEATRE STAFF!!
Skip, Sue, Chris, Ashley, Chad, Howard, Hannah, Carly, Ashtyn, Donovan
Orrin, Abby, Jill, Jennifer, Annemarie, Leslie and...
Melissa, Ryan & "Popcorn Princess" Lily Belle!
(and the Huston cats, Cookie and Little Kitty too!)