[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS--Aug. 29th

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Aug 27 11:02:17 EDT 2008

"All of Life's Answers are in the Movies!"  -Dr. Skippy P. Huston
WEEK OF FRIDAY, Aug. 29th thru THURSDAY, SEPT. 4th  ONLY!!
Check out our cool website at: www.TheAvon.com

>OPENING FRIDAY:
MAMMA MIA! (PG13) It's BACK for ONE-WEEK-ONLY!! (On the BIGGEST Screen too!)
HENRY POOLE IS HERE (PG) Luke Wilson and Radha Mitchell in a real family charmer!

>CONTINUING:
TROPIC THUNDER (R) The final week for this outrageous laff-fest!

>COMING SOON:
SEPT.5th: BEER FOR MY HORSES (PG13) Toby Keith and Rodney Carrington in a gut-buster!
SEPT. 5th: ??? (something cool)
SEPT. 5th ???  (something groovy)
SEPT. 12th: THE WOMEN (PG13) Meg Ryan, Annette Bening, Debra Messing, Bette Midler, Candice Bergen, Carrie Fisher, Eva Mendes, Jada Pinkett Smith (whew!)
SEPT. 12th: RIGHTEOUS KILL (R) DeNiro and Pacino TOGETHER! Need we say more????
CHECK OUT OUR NEW "MY SPACE" PAGE!!
Yup, my daughter Melissa labored and toiled to make
us a chatty and growing page on "My Space"!
Click here: www.MySpace.com and put in
 this EXACTLY: The Avon Theater
That will take you right to the page!
Check it out!
NOTE: This is the last "Holiday Weekend" of the Summer, and we are on a little bit different schedule than normal. You will note there are NO matinees on Friday, and ALL matinees on Sunday and Monday. This will enable us to enjoy this last gasp of Summer with our families. This is by no means the type of schedule you will see in the future, but just a little "breather".
CHECK THOSE SHOWTIMES MORE CAREFULLY THAN USUAL THIS WEEK!!!
MAMMA MIA!  (PG13) I came to the earthbound realizations that:
1.) We dropped MAMMA MIA! too early
-and-
2.) It never played on the big Avon main screen!

#1 can be blamed on an boneheaded notion on my part that we needed to get something new in, and, #2 is just one of those things that happens sometimes...
...Some really big movies for us never played on the biggest screen...THE BUCKET LIST and THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA come to mind, among others.
BUT, now we are going to rectify the MAMMA MIA! situation right here and now!
It comes back for an end-of-Summer "Encore" for ONE-WEEK-ONLY and ON THE BIGGEST SCREEN IN THE DECATUR AREA!
You know you want to see it again, right?
And, what about those of you who never got around to seeing it at all???
Put those hush-puppies in gear, 'cause we are waiting for you!
MAMMA MIA!  (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
NOTE: SPECIAL LABOR DAY HOURS--PLEASE CHECK CAREFULLY!
FRI: 7:00
SAT: (1:00) - (4:00) - 7:00
SUN & MON (Labor Day): (1:00) - (4:00)
TUES, WED & THURS: 7:15
HENRY POOLE IS HERE (PG) I hesitate to use the word "inspirational" when I talk about this one, because I don't want you to think this is something stuffy or cloying. LUKE WILSON and RADHA MITCHELL are wonderful in a family-friendly film that really needs YOUR support. If you have seen the preview, you know pretty much the unique storyline of the film, but it is sooooo much fun getting there! This is a ONE-WEEK-ONLY "indy" film for all you art & indy film lovers out there! You came out to support last week's BRIDESHEAD REVISITED, and I hope you will do the same here!
HENRY POOLE IS HERE (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
NOTE: SPECIAL LABOR DAY HOURS--PLEASE CHECK CAREFULLY!
FRI: 8:00
SAT: (2:00) - (5:00) - 8:00
SUN & MON: (2:00) - (5:00
TUES, WED & THURS: 6:40
TROPIC THUNDER  (R) This hilarious and outrageously offensive assault on good taste has won two solid weeks as the #1 movie in America!
This is the last week to see it.
Remember, it is NOT for everybody!
In fact, I could go crazier than I am already trying to profile those who have liked it and those who have thought it was over-the-top and politically IN-correct!
Seriously, it has been all over the map!
Some young people I thought were a safe bet, stormed out early and were not happy at all...
Some Senior citizens I thought "uh oh", laughed their fannys off!
So, as the wise man said: "It just shows to go ya'"
TROPIC THUNDER  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")

NOTE: SPECIAL LABOR DAY HOURS--PLEASE CHECK CAREFULLY!
FRI: 8:15
SAT: (2:15) - (5:15) - 8:15
SUN & MON: (2:15) - (5:15)
TUES, WED & THURS: 6:30
A NOTE FROM SKIP...

Fall Film Classes start Thursday, Sept. 11th @ 6:30 sharp!
Are you enrolled yet?
This upcoming course is filled with classics of Hollywood's Golden Age, and has
some fairly recent ones as well.
It's called "POLITICS AT THE MOVIES", but I promise you there will be no "agenda" or
"currently topical references"...
Instead, it is a look at our system as it once was, and still is to some degree...

Since I never divulge the films to be shown beforehand, I can give you some hints in
that these will star the likes of Henry Fonda, Spencer Tracy, Cliff Robertson, Walter Huston,
Richard Gere, Gene Hackman, Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman among many others!

Sold yet?

Howsabout the fact that a couple of the films will be extremely rare, and are the result
of long hours of searching out-of-print sources?

Sold yet?

Well, here's the kicker:
The Richland-at-the-Avon film classes have been a hugely popular venture for almost 7 years now, and regular enrollees are some of the nicest people in town!

You CAN enroll on the night of Sept. 11th at 6:15 PM. A Richland official will be there to sign you up.
-or-
You can come to the Avon lobbies and get a sign-up sheet and send/bring it in yourself.
-or-
You can call the Adult Learning Center at Richland right now!

There are no tests, and no grades; just a lot of great people watching and discussing fabulous movies!

(It's also a good place for you singles to meet other singles with similar interests!)

SOLD YET??

Better than this I can not do!
Ok, my birthday vacation home in the pool (thanks to my wife running things to give me a break) is just about over, and I am raring to get back in the saddle!
I have missed you!

My birthday is Thursday, Aug. 28th for those of you who want to give me gifts of money, BMW's and love notes...

Don't forget to pay close attention to those Labor Day weekend special showtimes, and I will see you there!!!

Check out our My Space page too!