[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Tue Nov 27 15:05:11 EST 2007

WEEK OF FRIDAY, NOV. 30th  thru THURSDAY, DEC. 6th ONLY!!

OPENING FRIDAY:
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (R) The Newest from the Coen Bros.! Starring Timmy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem and Josh Brolin

CONTINUING:
ENCHANTED (PG) The Magical Family Holiday Film that You Will Love!
AUGUST RUSH (PG) Discover a Wonderful Feel-Good Movie!

UPCOMING SPECIAL EVENT:
*FREE HOLIDAY MOVIE NIGHTS COMING!!
*Our NEW YEAR'S EVE "Traditional" Showing of Andrew Llord Webber's THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (PG13)
***************************************

GIFT CERTIFICATES AT THE AVON!!
Gifties come in three denominations, $5, $10 & $20 and
NEVER EXPIRE, and are ALWAYS good for the ENTIRE amount!
PLUS, they can be used for admissions AND snack bar items!!
THE PERFECT HOLIDAY GIFT!!
Get 'em at our box-offices!!
(And don't forget our 10-Movie Season Passes! What a great
gift those are!)
RAISING ADMISSION PRICES???
Unlike the "other guys", we have NOT raised our prices, and
we do not intend to raise them any time soon!
So, who loves ya', huh?? :-)
(Just another reason to always make the Avon your choice!)
***************************************
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (R) So, what is YOUR favorite Coen Bros. movie? Most will say FARGO, and many will say
 O, BROTHER WHERE ART THOU?. Some will say RAISING ARIZONA, and even a few die-hard film-noir fans like me will say MILLER'S CROSSING... The fact is: These guys make some mighty good movies!! With a little bit of qualification, there ain't a clunker in the bunch!
Well, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is being called one of the very best Coen Bros, movies, and what a heady statement that is! It is a huge hit in the areas it has already been released, and now here it comes to THE AVON!! An ensemble cast that includes Tommy Lee Jones (just the way you like him too!) Javier Bardem (as the baddest dude you ever don't wanna' mess with), Josh Brolin (having a great year after his top-notch turns in AMERICAN GANGSTER and IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH), and some surprises too! Come See What All the Fuss is About!
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN  (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ENCHANTED (PG) Ready to feel "enchanted"?? Ready to BE "enchanted"?? All you gotta' do is plop your fanny in a seat in front of this baby, and you will be transported to a wonderful time at the movies! Great cast, marvelous special effects, fabulous songs, and just what the Doctor ordered for the Holidays! EVERYONE LOVES THIS ONE!!
ENCHANTED (PG)

(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
AUGUST RUSH (PG) Boy, did I call it right on this baby! I had a "feeling" this would be a "feel good" movie that would appeal to all ages and give everyone the warm & fuzzies! The thing is: I almost decided to not play it! If I would have listened to some of my staff, we'd be playing some kind of "mall trash" movie and would have by-passed this wonderful and fable-like tale of a family finding each other!
It's a good thing I realize that, in the long run, the best person to listen to about this stuff is ME! Now come and see what I mean! With Keri Russell (woof!) and Robin Williams (in a non-frenetic role for a change), and Freddie Highmore, whom so many of you remember from FINDING NEVERLAND a couple Holiday Season's ago, how can you go wrong with your hard-earned movie bucks, huh?
ENCHANTED (PG)

(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 'Bargain Matinees")
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
HOLIDAY HOWDY!!
In our almost 9 years of operations (yup, that's right!) we have had some superb workers who we were always proud to say were part of our staff, (and we have had a few that were exactly the opposite of that too!)  Well, two of our BEST will be home from college for the Holidays in a few weeks, and I am overjoyed to say they will be back working at The Avon for the time they are home (about 3-4 weeks). So look for a couple familiar faces as Molly Kiick and Jennifer Snarsky man their old posts in our lobbies!
We also have a couple new people starting soon as well, and I will introduce them to you very soon.
When we find excellent workers, we try to never let 'em get away from us for too long! (No matter how hard they try!)
On that note: Congrats to Ashley Petty for her recent promotion to Lobby Manger! It was well-earned, Ash!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
IMPORTANT NEWS!!
Last year about this time, a terrible tragedy happened.
I blame myself.
I should have been more proactive in stressing to all of you how absolutely vital this issue was!
But, I just "assumed" you would know!
BIG MISTAKE!
So, because we were caught "sleeping", we came in at only NUMBER TWO in the Herald & Review's "Best Of Decatur" Poll!!

The year before, we had handily trounced BOTH of the "other guys", yet, last year, the Strand somehow squeaked by us!!

WE CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN AGAIN, FOLKS!!
We are the LOCAL guys!
We are you neighbors!
WE ARE YOUR #1 BUDDIES!!

SO, CLICK ON THIS LINK: http://www.herald-review.com/readerschoice/
And make sure you fill in AT LEAST 40 categories! Anything less won't do it!
It has to be at least 40!! (Even if you have to vote for the Avon for every category you aren't sure of!)
-AND, IT HAS TO BE IN BY DEC. 10th!!

Don't let that megalithic Georgia-based "McTheater" chain steal it from us again this year!!

Soooo, let's show 'em!
(Maybe they'll even try to run a better operation!)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
(Hey, while you're at it filling out that ballot, stop and think for a minute why there isn't a "Best Popcorn" category?
I think that smells a little "fishy", don't you? --or, maybe just smells a bit "corny"??---)
I'd like to hear from the powers-that-be why everything else under the sun is listed on that ballot EXCEPT for "Best Popcorn"!! I think all of us can guess why.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Just as I promised a few weeks ago, my daughter, Melissa, has been cooking up a storm with our Gourmet Popcorn Flavors, and drove many of you to the brink of insanity with her "Cherry Chocolate Popcorn" this past weekend! She has a batch of "Caramel Apple Popcorn" coming for this weekend, and, of course we have that big hit "Banana Split Popcorn" back for sale as well! And don't forget: We now have increased supplies of our "Avon Classic Caramel Corn" available too! Come See Just How Exciting Popcorn Can Be!!
I don't know if you can tell it or not (yeah, right) but I am feeling a whole lot better!!
My surgery is behind me now, and was a 100% successful procedure.
I am ready to get back to work!
(I was there for a limited time this past weekend, but couldn't quite make the entire day on Saturday and Sunday, we'll see how it goes this weekend!!)
What I DO know is this:
If YOU are there, I will be too!!!
-Skip Huston
P.S. Don't procrastinate on that ballot! It needs to be in by December 10th!!
DO IT NOW, PLEASE!!!