[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu May 24 09:55:02 EDT 2007

WEEK OF FRIDAY, MAY 25th thru THURSDAY, MAY 31st ONLY!!

OPENING FRIDAY:
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END (PG13)

CONTINUING:
SHREK THE THIRD (PG)
SPIDER-MAN 3 (PG13) HURRY! ENDS SOON!!

COMING NEXT WEEK:
We MAY have a One-Week-Only slot for an Art/Independent Film yet to be determined!
IF we do this, we HOPE you will support it!!
(This will be a Summer of blockbusters at The Avon, so there won't be many opportunities like this for a few months).

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD'S END (PG13) WOW!! Can they get any bigger than this one?
--And on Decatur's BIGGEST screen to boot!!-- I know some of you turn your nose up at this type of Summer "popcorn picture", but, it is movies like this that allow us to play the art/indy films that you call "Avon movies"! I don't have to go down the list of stars in this one, even though it is most impressive, because all anyone thinks of is JOHNNY DEPP!
Johnny's at-first controversial portrayal of the pirate Capt. Jack Sparrow has become the stuff of movie legend! I can't remember the last time a mincing, posturing and preening approach to a role like this has worked so successfully!
Marlon Barndo tried a somewhat similar tactic as Fletcher Christian in the 1960's remake of MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY to not much acclaim (in fact, quite the opposite)....Yes, this is a big, loud special-effects laden piece of Hollywood product, and yes, it is rather lengthy, as most epics are, but...It is also one TERRIFIC entertainment!
Grab a bucket of our famous classic corn with reel buttah, and settle back for a real adventure!!
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: At World's End (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
SUN & MON: (11:00 AM) - (3:00) - 7:00
TUES, WED & THURS: 6:45

SHREK THE THIRD (PG) And here is the perfect alternative to those pirates if you don't wish to brave the crowds this weekend! (But, this may be pretty crowded too!) The SHREK movies are marvels of funny and charming humor, and adults like them just as much as kids do because of the sprinkling of more mature references throughout. (Relax, the kids don't "get" the more mature humor anyway). This is in its 2nd big week at the Avon, and is a sure-fire pleaser!!
SHREK THE THIRD (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (2:30) - (5:00) - 7:30
SAT: (12:15) - (2:45) - (5:30) - 8:00
SUN & MON: (12:00) - (2:30) - (5:00) - 7:30
TUES, WED & THURS: 6:45

SPIDER-MAN 3 (PG13) I can't remember the last time we have played the three biggest movies in the world at the same time! In fact, I can't remember because it has NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!! This is the ol' web-slinger's 4th and last week here, and, now is the time to see it before it leaves!
SPIDER-MAN 3 (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
SUN & MON: (12:30) - (3:30) - 6:30
TUES, WED & THURS: 7:15

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM SKIP...
How do we love thee? Let me list some ways:
  a.. The Avon offers BOTH Coke and Pepsi products!

  b.. The Avon makes our own Caramel Corn and Cheeze Corns on-site!
  ( ...and other candy-corn flavors too!)

  c.. We only use a super-hybrid, locally grown, ultra-gourmet popping corn!

  d.. We offer REAL, that's right, REAL BUTTER!!

  e.. We pop in super-healthy ADM Sunflower oil, not the horrid unhealthy Coconut oil that other theaters use!

  f.. We offer a larger candy selection than most theaters!

  g.. We now offer Hot-Dogs! Ballpark All-Beef good-doggies!

  h.. The Avon is one of the ONLY theaters in the world, yes you read that correctly, that still shows a cartoon before most features! These cartoons are collector's items. When you see one, you are looking at a museum piece, pure and simple.

  i.. The Avon is LOCALLY-OWNED and operated!

  j.. We play NO COMMERCIALS! NONE! ZERO! ZILCH! Even though we could make moolah by doing so, we couldn't sleep at night knowing how badly we had disrespected our patrons.
And that's just some that I can remember right now, but, HERE is another way we are different that is the whole reason for this discourse:
THE AVON IS A "HOOLIGAN-FREE" ZONE!!
I will not tolerate rowdy and trashy behavior at my theaters, and will deal with any such instance brought to my attention in a quick and decisive manner. Many is the time these cretins have encountered me in the dark, and it is something they do not forget, believe me!
You can always reach management at The Avon (unlike those "other guys" where the horror stories of managers not being present are legendary!)...
So, if someone interferes with your enjoyment, TELL US AT ONCE!
If some fool uses their cell phone to text message or talk, TELL US AT ONCE!
I love "educating" these morons on proper theater etiquette!

So, to sum it all up: What makes The Avon different from those "other guys" is this:
We care about you and our community!

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!
Don't forget to pause a moment to remember and honor those who came before us.
Come See Me Soon!!
Skip Huston