[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Mar 22 14:44:18 EDT 2007

WEEK OF FRIDAY, MARCH 23rd  thru THURSDAY, MARCH 30th ONLY!!

OPENING FRIDAY:
SHOOTER (R) Starring Mark Walhberg and Danny Glover

CONTINUING:
PREMONITION (PG13) Starring Sandra Bullock
300 (R) Starring Gerard Butler and a Cast of Gazillions

SPECIAL EVENT:
Saturday, 10:30 PM ONLY
ALBERT FISH (NR) One-Show-Only with the film's director John Borowski and Troy Taylor hosting

COMING NEXT WEEK:
????
+++++HELP WANTED+++++HELP WANTED++++++
We have openings for Summer staff!!
If you have a student who would just be lazing around
this Summer, send them to us!!
Many of our regular staff will be leaving for the
Summer, and we need people!!!
APPLY IN PERSON--NO PHONE CALLS!!
We would prefer 18 years old at least, but will
consider 16 or 17 year-olds on a case-by-case basis.
MUST WORK NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS!!!
NO EXCEPTIONS!!
SHOOTER (R) I really like government conspiracy films. From as far back as I can remember, they have been among my favorite type of movies. This one, starring Mark Walhberg and Danny Glover, looks like a real doozy! Let's let one of my favorite film critics, Chuck Koplinski from Champaign-Urbana tell you about it in his review today in the Illinois Times:
Shooter
Running time 2:05
Rated R
Shooter finds Marine sharpshooter Bob Lee Swagger (Mark Wahlberg) in Africa, covering the retreat of an elite American unit that's returning from a classified mission.  Though he's able to hit his targets from as far as a mile away, his location is compromised, his partner is killed, and he's left behind enemy lines to fend for himself.  Fast-forward three years, and we find Swagger living in the Rocky Mountains, bitter over the way his comrades left him to die and cynical about the American government in general. Col. Isaac Johnson (Danny Glover) knows Swagger's mindset, yet tracks him down to ask whether he'll do a service for his country: foil a plot to assassinate the president. Reluctantly Swagger agrees, only to be framed for the crime.
     All of this occurs during the film's tautly constructed first half-hour, and what follows is Swagger's desperate attempt to clear his name with the help of some unlikely allies. His slain partner's fiancée, Sarah (Kate Mara), proves tough and smart - a welcome respite from the usual portrayal of women in films of this sort. Equally inventive is the addition of FBI agent Nick Memphis (Michael Peña), who tries to salvage his reputation at the agency after letting Swagger slip through his fingers on the day of the assassination. In trying to crack the case, he concocts his own conspiracy theory, realizes that Swagger is innocent, and actually tries to help him clear his name.
    Although all of this is highly entertaining, it's the political ax that the film grinds throughout that makes it intriguing.  There's no question about where director Antoine Fuqua; Wahlberg; Stephen Hunter, writer of the novel on which Shooter is based; and screenwriter Jonathan Lemkin stand with regard to their view of the current government.  When Swagger is asked to help protect the president, he replies, "I don't really like the president that much." It's a sentiment most of us, in the real world, can understand. Shooter is not only a superbly made actioner but also a mirror of our fractured, bitter societal mindset. Now that's what I call exciting filmmaking. Chuck Koplinski for the Illinois Times
Sounds good, huh? Check out the trailer click-on link right here (broadband connection suggested): http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809733437/trailer
SHOOTER (R)
MON,TUES, WED & THURS: 6:45
PREMONITION (PG13) Sandra Bullock in an eerie tale that will have you guessing until the end! Can you change fate? Is it wise to even try? What if you knew that something terrible was going to happen in the future to a loved one??
Would you do anything and everything you could to alter that course?? Come see for yourself.
PREMONITION (PG13)
MON, TUES, WED & THURS: 7:20
300 (R) You better climb into your chariot and get down to see this one, because it leaves THIS WEEK!! This stunning chronicle of the 300 Spartans back in 480 B.C., and their brave stand against a whole lot more of Persians, is everything you have heard it is, and more!
(and, by the way, we see more and more women coming to see it too---for reasons you will have find out for yourself).
300 (R)

SATURDAY, March 24th @ 10:30 PM
ALBERT FISH (NR)
The bone-chilling documentary on America's first serial killer!
Meet the director, John Borowski in-person!!
Hosted by author Troy Taylor!!
Hot Dogs are selling like...well, hot-cakes!!
That's right, THE AVON now has HOT-DOGS!!
They are really good ones too!
All-Beef BallPark Franks!!
So, now you can finally have some real food at The Avon!
(and since none of our downtown restaurants have chosen to be open
on Sundays, that means there now IS someplace to get more than just
popcorn and candy in downtown on that day!)
NACHOS ARE COMING SOON TOO!!

Come See Me This Weekend!!
I'll be Looking for You and You and YOU!!!!
-Skip