[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Tue Jul 17 14:44:50 EDT 2007

WEEK OF FRIDAY, JULY 20th thru THURSDAY, JULY 26th ONLY!!

OPENING FRIDAY:
HAIRSPRAY (PG) John Travolta as you have NEVER seen him before!!
I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK & LARRY (PG13) Adam Sandler & Kevin James Comedy!

CONTINUING:
HARRY POTTER 5--Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (PG13)

FALL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES AT THE AVON!!
We have an IMMEDIATE opening for a part-time Projectionist Trainee!!
The right candidate MUST have mechanical skills, and at least some basic
knowledge of projection. Must be available for a 10 day training period
before starting the position.
We have FALL openings for:
*Lobby Staff
*Lobby Supervisors
Apply IN-PERSON to Susan or Skip!
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS!
Must have dependable transportation and be able to
work NIGHTS and WEEKENDS!! No Exceptions!
We prefer over 18 years of age, but will consider
as young as 16. (We will also consider the "young at heart"!)
HAIRSPRAY (PG) We hope we have you all whipped into a veritable feeding frenzy for this movie! As many of you know, I was doing "extra promotion" during the showing of the excellent preview for it! Musicals always do well at The Avon, and this PG-rated and "family friendly" throwback to the GREASE and BYE, BYE BIRDIE era will have something for everyone! See John Travolta as you have never seen him before (some of you know just what I mean too!) and the cast of Michelle Pfeiffer (good to see this babe back on the screen) and Christopher Waken (always welcome) with a stunning young cast and always-singable tunes, make this a "don't-miss" Avon event!!

HAIRSPRAY (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets mean $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")

I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK & LARRY (PG13) Adam Sandler and TV's Kevin James bring a story to the screen that has all the potential to be hilarious! Two "straight" male firemen have to pose as a "couple" in order to fool an insurance company!
You can only imagine the high-jinks that will ensue! Foxy-lady Jessica Biel (woof!) and screen veteran Dan Aykroyd co-star.

I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU CHUCK & LARRY (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets mean $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")

HARRY POTTER 5--Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  (PG13) Ok, so HARRY POTTER fever is at an all-time high right now with the upcoming release of the last book in the series this coming Saturday. This is said to be one of the best, if not THE best of the 5 films (so far), and still going strong in its 2nd week. It is also said it can stand alone as a good movie too even if you are not aware of all the back-story. Great action and fine performances.

HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets mean $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
SOME WORDS FROM THE HEAD HONCHO...
Is The Avon "changing"?
Well, aside from the subtle and almost-unnoticed change of our name from "The Avon Theatre" to "Huston's Avon Theatre 3" (how many of you can remember when it was called--for a short time-- "The Avon Cinema" back in the '80's?), yes, we ARE "changing" a bit...
But I prefer to use the term "evolving" instead of merely "changing".
I have never considered that we were an "art" theater. I have always insisted we are an "alternative" theater that caters to the "upscale commercial" clientele...
But, even that is "evolving".

We have a unique ability to play the "BIG" movies at the same time as those dreaded "other guys", and there are times of the year (specifically Summer and Winter) when we need to hit that option as hard as we possibly can!
Does that mean we have left our loyal art & indy supporters behind??
ABSOLUTELY NOT!
You all saw that I managed to squeeze in WAITRESS, and I continue to find "holes" in the release schedules where we can bring the non-mainstream films for those of you who want them.
BUT, we are not a "non-profit" organization wherein we can exist solely on grants and donations!
We have to EARN our money!!
And that means getting EVERYONE to come!!
(And playing a steady diet of art & indy films will not pay the bills!).

So, the next time you think we have turned our back on our original core audiences, keep in mind those facts, and don't forget this too:
>>We must send a huge percentage of our ticket sales BACK to the studios!
>>We do not exist on ticket sales alone.
This is why I so shamelessly push our popcorn and hot-dogs!
Soooooooo, if you LOVE The Avon (and I hope most of you do) BUY MORE POPCORN!!!!!!!!!!

After all, it IS the BEST movie theater popcorn you have even tasted, right??
Don't you want some RIGHT NOW???
You know you do!!
COME SEE ME THIS WEEKEND!!