[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Feb 7 10:55:03 EST 2007

WEEK OF FRIDAY, FEB. 9th thru THURSDAY, FEB. 15th ONLY!!

OPENING FRIDAY:
VOLVER (pronounced "bol-ber") (R--sexy stuff and language) Oscar Nominee Penelope Cruz!! FIVE DAYS ONLY!!

CONTINUING:
THE QUEEN (PG13) Nominated for 6 Oscars, including "Best Picture" and "Best Actress" Helen Mirren
BECAUSE I SAD SO (PG13) Diane Keaton turns 60 and blows a gasket!!

COMING VALENTINES DAY:
MUSIC and LYRICS (PG13) Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore make beautiful music together!

COMING SOON:
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA (R) (Wait to see it on Decatur's BIGGEST screen!!)

VOLVER (R) So, here is one of those "Avon movies" that would never have played Decatur if we hadn't taken that big step to re-open the old Avon back those 8 years ago! This is the Oscar nominee for "Best Actress", the gorgeous Penelope Cruz, who, when she acts in her native language of Espanol, is an absolute marvel! (Not bad on the eyes either!). This is a FIVE-DAY-ONLY booking, and we ain't kiddin' either! There are things coming in right behind it, so we can't hold it no matter what! Come and prove to me, and the studios, that Decatur is now ready for subtitled movies!! (Ohhhhh noooo, I just let the cat out of the bag! YES, it is in Spanish with English subtitles! So what????) I will make this point, however, if at any time I can see that subtitled foreign films can, indeed, "work" in Decatur, it will open an incredible new world of film to all of you! So, support this!!
VOLVER (R)
(Showtimes in parenthesis denote $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI:  (5:00) - 8:00
MON & TUES: 6:40 (Ends Tuesday)

THE QUEEN (PG13) Wow! I almost thought GREEK WEDDING was back this weekend! I am so happy that so many of you waited to see this marvelous film at THE AVON (especially when we weren't even sure we were going to be able to play it!)...Helen Mirren is an absolute stunner playing Queen Elizabeth, and the production quality and writing is as good as it gets, folks! A story for thinking and intelligent people (which is a rare thing in movies these days), and certainly NOT a movie for the malls and multiplexes (as you all proved in Decatur last weekend!). This is a film that is enhanced by repeated viewings. There is so much texture here, that it can't all be absorbed in one sitting. (hint, hint)
THE QUEEN (PG13)
(Showtimes in parenthesis denote $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
SUN: (1:00) - (4:00
MON & TUES: 7:15
WED & THURS: 6:40

BECAUSE I SAID SO (PG13) Can you believe there are actually people who won't see this film because the critics didn't like it??? Since when have the critics liked ANY romantic comedy, huh? I think the qualifications for calling oneself a "film critic" must be that you have zero love life, and focus on esoteric minutiae to the point of ad nauseum!!
Welllll, let me tell ya', pilgrim, this here Diane Keaton is a mighty foxy 60 year old, and sure does bring a good quality to the screen (always has). Alls I can say is: There's a whole lot of people laughing their fannies off at this movie, and isn't it sad that there are some who won't come because a few self-important hoo-hahs say it isn't "quality"??? It's their loss. Come enjoy it!
BECAUSE I SAID SO (PG13)
(Showtimes in parenthesis denote $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")

MUSIC and LYRICS (PG13) So, what do you think? Will the critic's curse on romantic comedies strike again with this utterly charming and likeable ditty with Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore?? Not only does this deliver the goods on the romantic comedy scale, it also has some pretty catchy music to it too! (Take a listen to some of the music yourself by going to the official website (click here)>: http://musicandlyrics.warnerbros.com/ ). This is the perfect Valentine's Day treat for your sweetie!
MUSIC and LYRICS (PG13)
WED & THURS: 7:15
(Next week's showtimes not announced yet!)

For those of you up and about on Thursday morning at 7 AM, I will be on the WSOY
Brian Byers show with my old pal Jon Grubb and guest-host Kevin Brehany discussing
old-time Decatur Rock 'n Roll. This is quite a feat for a "theater person" like me to
be up and ready-to-go at 7 AM!! Remember that my day starts when all of yours
are ending! BUT...there are some people who I can't refuse a favor, and Jon Grubb
in one of them.
Call in if you want! I should be coherent!
Mark you calendars for Thursday, February 22nd for a major fund-raiser for
St. Mary's Hospital! This will be a real Hollywood "Premiere" of a major film
that has not been released yet! Try and keep your schedule flexible, and look
for more details in the next newsletter!
COME SEE ME THIS WEEKEND!
I'LL BE LOOKING FOR YOU, AND YOU & YOU!!!
SKIP HUSTON