[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Aug 8 17:36:43 EDT 2007

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  AUG. 10th thru THURSDAY, AUG. 16th ONLY!!

OPENING FRIDAY:
BECOMING JANE (PG) (An AVON Exclusive) Anne Hathway as the legendary Jane Austen!!
ONCE (R-language) (An AVON Exclusive) The tune-filled Irish sensation of the Sundance Festival!

CONTINUING:
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (PG13) Matt Damon in the BEST of the series so far!!

COMING SOON:
THE NANNY DIARIES (PG13) Scarlett Johansson and Avon-fave Laura Linney!
...and so much MORE we can't tell you about...YET!!
So, Decatur Celebration 2007 is history now!
My personal and hearfelt thanks to all of you who tolerated the crowds and lack of parking just to support us!!
Many of you are aware our business is negatively impacted immeasurably by this annual bash, and the fact that so many of you came down to THE AVON was truly touching!
Thanks, too, to some of my closest friends who, knowing what a foul mood I am always in during Celebration, came down to try and cheer me up! Their efforts were not entirely successful, but I did appreciate it!
Now, its finally back to business as usual until the next Decatur Celebration!! (51 weeks away!!!!!)
BECOMING JANE (PG) "Chick flicks" and "The Avon" have become synonymous in Decatur. Truly, there are few places that present and appreciate this type of movie to the extent we do! Maybe it's because women love our popcorn so much, or maybe they just feel "safer" coming to us, whatever it is: The Avon is the BEST place to see this kind of movie! And what a movie it is! Anne Hathaway heads a distinguished cast that includes Maggie Smith and James Cromwell. This rumination on a romance of Jane Austen's is a romantic marvel!
It seems that Austen's legacy grows every year, and that is astounding when you consider this remarkable woman has been dead for almost 200 years!
And, when she died at just 41, she had only written 6 books! But those 6 books are immortal!

BECOMING JANE (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets mean $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")

ONCE (R-language) Ever since some of you returned from attending the Sundance Film Festival last Winter, I have heard you rave about this tune-filled Irish romance. I have also heard the songs in this are so good, you will be racing to Amazon.com or to iTunes to get the soundtrack (because, you know it won't be available at any local stores!). Don't let the "R" rating put you off. It is really only for a bit of salty dialog. I am told this is a magical little movie that you will adore! HURRY! LIMITED ENGAGEMENT!!
HERE IS JUST A SMALL SAMPLING OF THE RAVE REVIEWS. FOLKS!!
The movie swoons, and you will too.
Owen Gleiberman Entertainment Weekly

It deserves to be seen and offers more real human emotion than most of the year's would be box office busters.

 James Berardinelli ReelViews

A wonderful film that is one of the year's best.
Mary Houlihan Chicago Sun-Times
...AND, most importantly, READ THIS ONE:
For reasons they'll have to go to hell for someday, the Motion Picture Association of America ratings board gave Once an R, for a handful of swear words. Ignore that. And enjoy the film.
Michael Phillips Chicago Tribune

SEEN ENOUGH??? DON'T MISS THIS!! But, it is a "Limited Engagement" so don't dare procrastinate!!

ONCE (R-language)
(Showtimes in brackets mean $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")

THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (PG13) So, what were the chances, in this Summer of such hyped Hollywood bally-hoo, that a "Part 3" would come along that would turn out to be the BEST of an already-acclaimed series? The crowds that saw this last weekend were absolutely blown-away by the fast-paced, yet intelligent, action thrills. Matt Damon was born to play this role, and he does an excellent job of it!

THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets mean $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")

Summer '07, has sure seen some big blockbuster movies hasn't it?
And, many of you who know me well, know that the big "mall movies" are just a means to an end for us...
It gives us the ability to play the smaller and/or more prestigious films in the rest of the year!

And what a Fall it is going to be, folks!
Such films as RENDITION with Jake Gyllenhaal, Reese Witherspoon (in a rare dramatic role) and Meryl Streep, LIONS FOR LAMBS with Robert Redford, Tom Cruise and (again) Meryl Streep, GONE BABY GONE with Ed Harris and Morgan Freeman, (from the author of Mystic River), NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, the new Coen Bros. film with Tommy Lee Jones, and then there's the one I am so excited about: Cate Blanchett reprises her career-making role as Queen Elizabeth 1 in the epic: ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE, with Clive Owen and Geoffrey Rush.
What do you want to bet there are some Oscar-Winners among that bunch??
And, that ain't all, folks!!!

Movies Really ARE Better Than Ever!!
Those of you who were wanting more of the art & indy films like The Avon is known for should be VERY happy this week! NOW, COME SUPPORT THEM!!!

I'll Be Looking for YOU!!