[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Thu Aug 2 16:10:35 EDT 2007

WEEK OF FRIDAY,  AUG. 3rd  thru THURSDAY, AUG. 9th ONLY!!

OPENING FRIDAY:
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (PG13) Matt Damon in a new FOUR STAR-RATED ACTION/ADVENTURE!!

CONTINUING:
HAIRSPRAY (PG)
HARRY POTTER 5 (PG13) (FINAL WEEK!!)

COMING NEXT WEEK:
ONCE (PG13) The Irish Musical Hit of Sundance!!

IT'S DECATUR CELEBRATION WEEKEND!!
Now, does that mean that many of you will say "I'm staying as far away from downtown as possible!" ??
Well, it doesn't have to be that way!
I know that parking is always a problem during Celebration, but, remember that THE AVON is NOT located in the perimeters of Celebration...
We are right outside one of the main gates, but we are not right in the midst of it.
This means that parking IS possible right in front, as usual, if you are lucky!
Our parking garage, located directly across the street, is charging only $2, and that is a pretty good deal for all-day parking at Celebration!
All in all, it doesn't have to be a major hassle!!
So, wouldn't you rather come down and see THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM at THE AVON, rather than braving those "other guys"??
After all, it IS "Decatur" Celebration, and THE AVON is ALL about "Decatur"!!
In fact, if THE AVON's continued existence against-all-odds is not cause for "Celebration", then I don't know what is!

THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (PG13) Wowser! Just when I thought that Summer of '07 had offered up its last truly great movie of the season with HAIRSPRAY, along comes a knock-out of an entry from the famous Robert Ludlum books!
Yes, this is another of this Summer's "threequels", but, in this case, there is no "Hollywood sausage factory" working here! Matt Damon is a marvel in a role he was born to play, and the addition of top-notch performers Joan Allen and David Strathairn, only adds to the class of this production. The critics have given this amazingly positive reviews, and called it the "intelligent thriller" we have waited all Summer for! Director Paul Greengrass is an up-and-comer who got our attention with his masterful handling of UNITED 93, now, his stature grows even larger with this one!
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets mean $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
HAIRSPRAY (PG) Ok, there are still a group of old grouchy grumps out there that haven't seen this "feel-good" movie of the year! Wassamatta?? Don't you WANT to feel good??? I am betting that some of you have some preconceptions about this that are totally wrong!
LET ME SET YOU STRAIGHT: It is one of the BEST musicals you will ever see! It has some of the BEST dancing ever filmed! The setting of the early-1960's is done with such meticulous detail, you will swear the filmmakers found a time machine somewhere!
Honestly, I can understand the frequent patrons of the "other guys" not seeing this one, because they are used to diet of tripe; but, if YOU are reading this, YOU are an AVON FAN! That means you are a cut above! GET YOUR FANNY DOWN TO SEE THIS NOW!!!!
HAIRSPRAY (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets mean $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
HARRY POTTER 5 (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) (PG13) This is the last week for the latest entry in the astounding HARRY POTTER series, and now is the time to see it on one of the big Avon screens before it is relegated to the confines of home video. I don't care how big your home screen is (mine at home is over 9 feet) there is still no substitute for seeing something like this at home! See it here at THE AVON for the first time, then use your home system for subsequent re-viewings. That's the best course with something like this. That's why we call them "movies" and not "TV".
HARRY POTTER 5 (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets mean $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A NOTE FROM SKIP
We have been short-handed all Summer because we had some serious "problems" with a couple of our staffers, and we really did not find too many suitable candidates that were willing to give up their nights and weekends...
As Fall approaches, a few of our staffers from last Spring will be returning to school in Decatur, and will, most likely be back. On top of that, we do have a great new person who just started last week...
BUT, the best news is that my daughter, Melissa, who has been on an extended maternity leave, will soon be returning to limited duty at first.
What that means is: OUR NUMBER ONE POPCORN FLAVOR CHEF IS BACK!!!

Here we went and got all of you crazy over our Chocolate Popcorn, and our Crazy Banana Split corn, and then had no one to prepare it on a regular basis! It was all we could do to even have enough Caramel corn for our ever-popular "Avon Style", much less offer Caramel corn by itself!
ALL OF THAT CHANGES VERY SOON!

And, by the way, we WILL have Crazy Banana Split available again this weekend!!

(Now, there's a great incentive to come see us during Celebration!!)

I'll Be Looking for You, and You and...YOU!
Skip Huston