[Avon-theatre-news] AVON THEATRE NEWS

Skip Huston Skip at TheAvon.com
Wed Apr 25 17:06:17 EDT 2007

WEEK OF FRIDAY, April 27th  thru THURSDAY, May 3rd ONLY!!

OPENING FRIDAY:
THE NAMESAKE (PG13) From the Best-Selling Book Comes a Heartfelt Family Saga!
THE LIVES OF OTHERS (Das Leben der Anderen) (R) Oscar-Winner "Best Foreign Film"!!

CONTINUING:
THE LOOKOUT (R) Ends Thursday!! Top-Rated Crime Drama!!
MISS POTTER (PG) Last Chance Showings!! FRI, SAT & SUN ONLY!!

SPECIAL EVENT:
>>>THURSDAY NIGHT at 12:01 AM (So that's Friday morning)
Be Among the FIRST to See: SPIDER-MAN 3 !!!!!

COMING NEXT WEEK:
SPIDER-MAN 3 (PG13) (The Summer Blockbusters Begin!!)
LUCKY YOU (PG13) Drew Barrymore, Eric Bana & Robert Duvall!!

NOTE: Ok, folks, you wanted more of the off-the-beaten-path "AVON MOVIES"??? Well, here they are!! Now you gotta' SUPPORT them!!!

THE NAMESAKE (PG13) Ever since we first started playing the preview for this last Fall, we have had people asking "When is it coming?"...Apparently there are a lot of you out there who have read this book! Then there are those of you who have friends and family in larger cities where this has already played who have been told what an excellent film this is! It's a family saga about two worlds and one journey that, I am sure, will be one of your new favorites!
THE NAMESAKE (PG13)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")

THE LIVES OF OTHERS ("Das Leben der Anderen") (R) Boy it would be a shame if some of you let subtitles reject this one! This is the OSCAR-WINNER for BEST FOREIGN FILM for the current year, and what an incredible movie it is! I honestly couldn't see how anything could beat PAN'S LABYRINTH at this years's Oscars, but, then when I saw this one I understood perfectly! Be ready for complex and intelligent story-telling! ONE-WEEK-ONLY!!
THE LIVES OF OTHERS ("Das Leben der Anderen") (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")

THE LOOKOUT (R) I didn't feel we gave this one a fair shake at last weekend's veritable "film festival". The showtimes were not-so-hot, and, let's face it, this is really not an ideal afternoon "matinee" movie! This is a dark tale of crime and redemption, and deserves to get another chance for audiences to discover it! Critics loved it, and the people that did make the effort last week were very positive about it too! Find out for yourself! ENDS THURSDAY!!
THE LOOKOUT (R)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI: 7:15
SAT: 7:15
SUN: (4:15)
MON thru THURS: 6:45

MISS POTTER (PG) Ok, guys, THIS IS IT!! MISS POTTER will absolutely, positively LEAVE on Sunday!! If you haven't gotten your procrastinating fanny down to see it by then, well, you missed one of the BEST movies to play the Avon in a long time!! This wonderful and romantic bio of famed author Beatrix Potter, and her menagerie of characters from the duck and bunny world, is sheer enchantment! ENDS SUNDAY!! (We ain't kidding either!)

MISS POTTER (PG)
(Showtimes in brackets are $5.50 "Bargain Matinees")
FRI: (4:15)
SAT: (1:15) - (4:15)
SUN: (1:15)

SPIDER-MAN 3 (PG13) Are you ready for the Summer movie season?? With all that huge films coming this Summer, it is being said this will be the BIGGEST Summer in Hollywood history!! Kick it off right with ol' Spidey, in what has been called the most spectacular entry in this super-popular series!!
THURSDAY NIGHT (Friday morning for all you perfectionists) at 12:01 AM!!
ADVANCE TICKETS ON-SALE NOW!!!!

A NOTE FROM SKIP...
So, what's up with Sundays?? Why do we close so early??
It's really not a deep, dark secret. It's just a matter of economics, that's all.
Our beloved downtown Decatur has come a long way in the last several years, and is destined to
go even further in the next few...
HOWEVER, there is still the matter that downtown literally "pulls up the sidewalks" on Sundays!!
There is not a single restaurant open on Sundays!
All of the bars are closed as well.
It's a very frustrating thing to me to have brought hundreds of people into downtown on Sundays
 for over 8 years now, and still no one has thought to take advantage of the extra business they could have!
As I have often said to the media: "If I have to open a restaurant downtown that will cater to the Avon
crowd myself, I will do it!"...
But, I really don't want to be in the restaurant business!!
The movie biz is tough enough, believe me!
So, what to do?
The new development in the block next to the Avon may have a restaurant that will meet our needs,
but they have only just broken ground for that project.

As soon as Summer is in full-force, we will be open later on Sundays, whether there is a restaurant
that has come to their senses or not!
(And, by the way, our customers have discovered our Avon hot-dogs make a good Sunday lunch!)

Unless there is some specific reason for a later Sunday schedule, like a huge blockbuster movie, or
some special event, we will continue to treat Sunday later shows on a case-by-case basis.

The main thing is: The Avon Theatre is there, and ready to give you a superior alternative to the
"McTheater" experience!
That's what has driven us for these 8 years, and you letting us know how much you appreciate
it is music to our ears!!

Come See Me This Weekend!
We have a rare "ALL 'Avon Movie' Weekend for YOU!!

Skip Huston